We have bees living in the cavity around our pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well what a turn up for the books it just shows how nature adapts , Val and I noticed the other day that our pond has new residents living in the cavity around the pond in the form of some sort of bee :happy:
These busy little creatures have used a small gap in the wood that surrounds the pond and have taken up residence in there and lets say we are really happy about it .:)
I'm unsure what type of bee they are it apears there are more than three and the thing weve noticed about them is that their tails are white .
We arent going to do anything at all to disturb them I dont even know if they can sting or not ?
Would one of our bee keeping members of the forum like to tell us just what these busy little creatures are please , how long they live , if they have a queen etc, etc please ?
Thankyou in advance :happy:

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds like bumblebees, what with the white bottoms, etc. If they make a loud buzzing noise when flying, appear to be bigger than the average bee, etc, then they're bumblebees, which are nearing extinction in the UK.

They rarely, if ever, sting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like bumblebees, what with the white bottoms, etc. If they make a loud buzzing noise when flying, appear to be bigger than the average bee, etc, then they're bumblebees, which are nearing extinction in the UK.

They rarely, if ever, sting.
Many thanx for that yes they are loud when they buzz around , how many do you get to a hive are they just a few or do they add to the hive over the years ?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to warn of wood bees, too. Here they will "drill" into wood and can take a deck support down in a few weeks time.

Edit to add: wood bees have a shiny black abdomen though, no white as you are describing.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds like a White-Tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lucorum). Google that and you can confirm or deny.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You said wood surround. Any sawdust around? Here we've also got carpenter bees which look a lot of bumblebees, but drill holes into wood. Very annoying.
I was going to warn of wood bees, too. Here they will "drill" into wood and can take a deck support down in a few weeks time.

Edit to add: wood bees have a shiny black abdomen though, no white as you are describing.

Many thanx for your imput but I dont think they are carpenter bee's as LisaK1 said the have white furry bottom ends it looks like there are about three or four of them popping in and out of the gap , they are amazing to watch busily poppng in and out of the hole then flying away to be seen some time later after pollinating plants in peoples gardens :happy:

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They DO have a queen, workers and drones, but in far lesser numbers than honeybees. Drones and workers, as well as the old queen, die in the winter, but young queens hibernate to start the cycle anew in the spring.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
We had a wisteria trellis that was destroyed by "wood bees" (when I was a kid) but we have good old bumble bees here that love to feed on my flowers. Is there any way to take a pic of them? Id love to see them. Tbh? Only now have I learned those wood bees are not the same as bumble bees and thank you all for educating me on that. I love learning something new!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They DO have a queen, workers and drones, but in far lesser numbers than honeybees. Drones and workers, as well as the old queen, die in the winter, but young queens hibernate to start the cycle anew in the spring.
John
Aww I was hoping for free propolis John thats a bummer :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@KC Crook Propolis is what keeps the hive healthy and its a by product that bee keepers dont have much of a use for .
It is used by koi keepers to treat wounds and is added to koi food to give them a boost , you can buy it in liquid and spray forms from any health food store , use the spray on wounds and the liquid mixed in with koi pellets
Or you can go to your local bee keeper and buy it from them but I'm unsure how you turn it to liquid as they come in blocks when collected or so I believe

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Propolis is what keeps the hive healthy and its a by product that bee keepers dont have much of a use for .
It is used by koi keepers to treat wounds and is added to koi food to give them a boost , you can buy it in liquid and spray forms from any health food store , use the spray on wounds and the liquid mixed in with koi pellets
Or you can go to your local bee keeper and buy it from them but I'm unsure how you turn it to liquid as they come in blocks when collected or so I believe

Dave
Oh! See? I learned something new AGAIN! Thanks! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh! See? I learned something new AGAIN! Thanks! Lol
Not a problem even after 30 years of koi keeping you still learn things infact in this hobby you never stop learning check out how to make a firt aid kit for your fish :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/make-a-complete-first-aid-kit-for-koi-and-goldfish.13/

also I did an article on propolis :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/propolis.25/

and the the lck of certain vitamins etc and its effects on your fish :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/propolis.25/

Lastly alternate foods for your fish :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi-and-goldfish.4/

I hope all this helps you further your hobbby there are other articles in the articles section done by @Meyer Jordan @bettasngoldfish and lastly myself

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You know, @Dave 54 , when I first saw the heading of this thread, I read "We have BEEN living in the cavity around our pond..." I thought to myself, "Wow! the British housing situation must have fallen on hard times!!" :eek: Glad it was only bees! :D(y)
John

Ask a Question