We have the area ready for the liner, it measures 16x20x3, how heavy should the liner be ?

GGG

Reaction score
Country
United States
we have the area ready to put a liner, the area measures 16x20x3, which thickness of liner should we buy ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome GGG

Post some pictures of your pond build!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
animation-welcome.gif

Don't skimp; go with the 45 mil EPDM. In the long run you will be so happy you did.
YES! We love pictures...and, don't hesitate to ask questions...and stick around....this is a nice community.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put n a liner bigger than that by myself but it would be much better with 4 or 5 people .I layed it out in the warm sun for 2 hours and then folded each end into it's self and the hardest part was moving it .You do have to be careful not to have anything sharp around the area .No sticks or rocks near it .Be careful because it does get hot in the sun .Because I had moles chew my other liner I put down milky spore and also put down roof underlayment as and added measure under my underlayment .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What Meyer Jordan said. 45mil EPDM. Make sure it's the PondGuard liner and not the roof liner. EPDM for roofs may contain ingredients that are toxic to fish.

When you're setting the large boulders, do not twist or wiggle them into place if they have any sharp edges. If you can't avoid placing a rock like that, perhaps to frame the waterfall, then use a scrap of underlayment atop the liner as well as the full coverage beneath. Rock pads are also available for this, they're super durable but kinda pricey.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had checked roof liners and the only thing that they tell me is that the stuff used to keep from sticking together when folded and rolled .They are usually not as big either in width .Goodyear plant is here and i asked them directly .They make tires but connected me with the rubber roof liner part of the company .They use corn starch for liners and a cheaper stuff that last longer for roof liners .Not sure if it is true but it was from them .I bought a piece to use under my stock tank .Got it at builders discount cent for 15 dollars for a 14 foot by 12 foot piece

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Roof liners are fine. I had one for years for my 1st pond and all fish thrived in it and still have those fish in my 2nd pond. I just rinsed off the powdery coating w/a garden hose. No scrubbing either. Bought my second liner from an irrigation company and it's been in for many years now doing fine.

Ask a Question