We have the area ready for the liner, it measures 16x20x3, how heavy should the liner be ?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by GGG, Oct 13, 2017.

1. GGG

GGG

we have the area ready to put a liner, the area measures 16x20x3, which thickness of liner should we buy ?

GGG, Oct 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. GGG

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

45 mil EPDM. Don't forget the underlayment.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 13, 2017
    RichardSJPonds, addy1 and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. GGG

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome GGG

Post some pictures of your pond build!

addy1, Oct 13, 2017
  4. GGG

MoonShadows The Jam Man

animation-welcome.gif

Don't skimp; go with the 45 mil EPDM. In the long run you will be so happy you did.
    YES! We love pictures...and, don't hesitate to ask questions...and stick around....this is a nice community.

MoonShadows, Oct 13, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  5. GGG

sissy sissy

I put n a liner bigger than that by myself but it would be much better with 4 or 5 people .I layed it out in the warm sun for 2 hours and then folded each end into it's self and the hardest part was moving it .You do have to be careful not to have anything sharp around the area .No sticks or rocks near it .Be careful because it does get hot in the sun .Because I had moles chew my other liner I put down milky spore and also put down roof underlayment as and added measure under my underlayment .

sissy, Oct 13, 2017
  6. GGG

RichardSJPonds

What Meyer Jordan said. 45mil EPDM. Make sure it's the PondGuard liner and not the roof liner. EPDM for roofs may contain ingredients that are toxic to fish.

When you're setting the large boulders, do not twist or wiggle them into place if they have any sharp edges. If you can't avoid placing a rock like that, perhaps to frame the waterfall, then use a scrap of underlayment atop the liner as well as the full coverage beneath. Rock pads are also available for this, they're super durable but kinda pricey.

RichardSJPonds, Oct 13, 2017
  7. GGG

sissy sissy

I had checked roof liners and the only thing that they tell me is that the stuff used to keep from sticking together when folded and rolled .They are usually not as big either in width .Goodyear plant is here and i asked them directly .They make tires but connected me with the rubber roof liner part of the company .They use corn starch for liners and a cheaper stuff that last longer for roof liners .Not sure if it is true but it was from them .I bought a piece to use under my stock tank .Got it at builders discount cent for 15 dollars for a 14 foot by 12 foot piece

sissy, Oct 13, 2017
  8. GGG

j.w I Love my Goldies

Roof liners are fine. I had one for years for my 1st pond and all fish thrived in it and still have those fish in my 2nd pond. I just rinsed off the powdery coating w/a garden hose. No scrubbing either. Bought my second liner from an irrigation company and it's been in for many years now doing fine.

j.w, Oct 13, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  9. GGG

sissy sissy

sorry looked and it was 14 by 10 wide .

sissy, Oct 14, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question