We just got a pony

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well my wife and I got a new pony. My wife had to put down one of here horses a few weeks ago so she wanted a companion for the other horse so we got a pony from a rescue. She has some issues with her feet but we will get them worked out. Thus the make shift boots on the front feet.

IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi RobAmy you are both stars in our eyes for adopting this poor horse :happy:
All our cats have been rescue cats and I know you may well have to work out a few issues if the horse has been maltreated simply from the issues some of our cats have had to work through, some like Suki the female we lost to mouth cancer aged 8 still had mental health issues right the way through her short life of 6 years with us.
It broke our hearts knowing that we could never propperly work them through with her even though she was treated with love and the best in care, when she was put to sleep I and I admit this as a male cried my heart out as did Val knowing that we were doing the right thing .
People can be so cruel to animals why I do not know :mad:
Here are a couple of Dartmoor ponies your wife might like photos of, hey who knows you love to globe trot for your camera lense to catch beauty.perhaps in the future you may visit our area and take your own shots
These lovely creatures are free to roam the moor as are you my friend :happy:

ponies1.jpg

ponie.jpg

ponies2.jpg

As you can see most of the Mares are heavily pregnant , did you know sadly the worth of some ponies from Dartmoor is that low more than a few times they have been sold for as little as £5.00 some for as little as 50p, most are then destined for the horse meat trade
All brought about by the European Union demanding each pony has a passport which cost more than they are now worth hense the farmers directing the exess ponies to the slaughter house so very sad :cry:
Before these passports these same ponies would have changed hands for Hundereds of pounds UK

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congrats! And kudos for choosing a rescue! She is adorable! How tall is she?

And you have my condolences on your recent loss!

(There is a site I follow on FaceBook. A family in the central Texas area initially rescued 2 Belgians that were literally on their way to slaughter. This was maybe a year or 2 ago. Since then they've rescued 2 more drafts and a mustang -- again, all on their way to slaughter. All of these horses are up in age, were mistreated, lead hard lives via overwork, and had serious health issues. Most of the health issues dealt with poor or nonexistent hoof care, which in turn has meant a great deal of pain for the horses. And needless to say, there were a lot of mistrust issues. They had to have one of the horses put down. They make frequent -- usually twice a week -- posts and updates with either still shots or videos, and it's so uplifting to see how graciously these old-timers are getting to live the remainder of their senior years! Oh, and they have other rescues, too: Corgis, cats, chickens -- and sometimes they get to be the stars of the FB posts!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear Amy lost one of her horses. I know how hard that is......It's awesome that you guys were able to give this darling pony a chance at a good life. I'm pretty sure she probably thinks she hit the lotto :D

Dave, Love the pictures you posted. Those horses are beautiful as is the land. What is the building in the first picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Condolences on the loss of Amy's horse, I imagine such a loss would be huge. Horses just seem so noble to me. This pony is trotting along the path to her new life :) Please keep posting pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your new pony is adorbs -- I love the brown spot on the side! It is so wonderful that you're able to provide a good home for her. Every animal deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. Hats off to you and Amy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear Amy lost one of her horses. I know how hard that is......It's awesome that you guys were able to give this darling pony a chance at a good life. I'm pretty sure she probably thinks she hit the lotto :D

Dave, Love the pictures you posted. Those horses are beautiful as is the land. What is the building in the first picture?
Maria the land you see for as far as you can see and then some more again , that is dartmoor propper all kept at cut grass level by the horses and sheep that room the moors .
The building in the picture is the first building you see as you enter Princetown I think it may be a former toll house or something like that .
Princetown is the town you can see and this town serves Dartmoor Prison a Napolionic and American POW's Prison still in use today.. [sorry you guys it was when we had our little Spat/falling out with you] back in History .

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That pony is in heaven on earth now! One lucky little pony.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
She is adorable. Kudos to you and sorry to hear about having to put down your horse. Been there ourselves and its never easy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
She is adorable!! i love the white and a little brown spot. Congratulations.

Ask a Question