We lost power 2 days ago. The fish are under ice. Are they ok?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Our smaller pond I couldn't maintain the surface and its frozen over and my generator could only power the air bubble machine for one of our ponds while it kept us alive inside.

My question is now we are finally starting to see more steady power should I even attempt to break the ice? We wont be above freezing until Saturday. The women of the house are scared to death the fish will suffocate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no, don't ever 'break'; if you have to create a hole, use a pot of boiling water. Hitting the ice will cause a shock that can kill your fish.

Cold water holds a lot more oxygen than warm, plus fish don't need as much O2 as the temps go down. As long as this is not long term (2 weeks +), you shouldn't worry, unless you're over stocked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
no, don't ever 'break'; if you have to create a hole, use a pot of boiling water. Hitting the ice will cause a shock that can kill your fish.

Cold water holds a lot more oxygen than warm, plus fish don't need as much O2 as the temps go down. As long as this is not long term (2 weeks +), you shouldn't worry, unless you're over stocked.
ok thanks very much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
brokensword is spot-on. Never bang on the ice. It creates deadly shock waves.

I have heard the boiling water idea before, so that is probably your best bet to get through the ice.
I once had to replace a non-working pond deicer. I tried using a propane torch, but believe it or not, that didn't work at all. Not even close. It was a feeble attempt.
I reluctantly and carefully used a 6 inch holesaw on my cordless drill. I drilled real slow. I didn't want to create too much noise or vibration. It worked out fine. I don't think I stressed the fish.

I now keep a deicer, two air stones (near the surface) and a fountain that shoots up 8-10 inches above the water.
Sometimes it gets so cold that a dome of ice forms over the fountain. It looks cool because you can see the water shooting up inside the dome of ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Very glad that you are OK! Sending prayers and "good vibes" to everyone in Texas. Hoping Spring comes sooner rather than later for you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A pot of boiling water placed on the ice makes a nice hole. I had to melt my hot tub pond to get a pond breather in it. The ice was about 1 inch thick and it melted just fine. Took a bit but it worked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A pot of boiling water placed on the ice makes a nice hole. I had to melt my hot tub pond to get a pond breather in it. The ice was about 1 inch thick and it melted just fine. Took a bit but it worked.
Oh, I see the technique...place the pot of boiling water right on top of the ice, pot and all. I thought you poured the water onto the ice. That makes sense! Great mention addy!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, I see the technique...place the pot of boiling water right on top of the ice, pot and all. I thought you poured the water onto the ice. That makes sense! Great mention addy!
Pouring does nothing, I boil the water run out with the pot and place it on the ice. Have to jiggle it now and then as the water against the ice cools ie at the bottom of the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have also set a soup kettle of boiling water on the ice to open a hole. I have also used my weed burner which is 500,000 BTU to melt a hole. I actually think the boiling water worked just as well and much quieter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
These are my unsung heroes.

Si17be.jpg

KMtzvN.jpg

They kept us somewhat comfortable. Will definitely be upgrading after this blows over. I wont put my family through that again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are my unsung heroes.
What is the go power with the batteries, dear hubby is asking.

We have 3 generators, none really hooked up. One is ready with a propane gas tank. Our power here...............knock on wood.................has been real stable. We have loss power twice since we have lived here, both car accidents that took out power poles.

If we lose power we will be warm no matter what, ventless propane heater, all we use all winter. Go though maybe 200-300 bucks worth of propane. I dug in a 500 gallon propane tank years ago. We have a bbq to cook on so we will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
What is the go power with the batteries, dear hubby is asking.

We have 3 generators, none really hooked up. One is ready with a propane gas tank. Our power here...............knock on wood.................has been real stable. We have loss power twice since we have lived here, both car accidents that took out power poles.

If we lose power we will be warm no matter what, ventless propane heater, all we use all winter. Go though maybe 200-300 bucks worth of propane. I dug in a 500 gallon propane tank years ago. We have a bbq to cook on so we will be fine.

The battery pack is part of the EGO tool line. We have the mower, and most of the lawn equipment. You take those batteries and put them on this gizmo and it uses the battery power as a massive power block. Its great because it can be in the house. Not so great it will only last a few hours but it allowed us to use 2 space heaters on the generator outside while this little guy took care of the tv satellite and internet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like a great little station , i have had some ego products over the years one was the strongest electric leaf blower at the time and it barely made the season. ,Main use was to blow dry the Bike and cars after washing. And a second unit that didn't do any better. Ego has been around a while now but i was very disappointed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks he was wondering, loves the rechargeable car jump units that also run ac and charge your phones. I am getting ready to plow, might need a jump for my tractor as it has been darn cold.

Ask a Question