Weed control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Not in the pond, but around the pond. Last year I installed a border around the pond using fabric, and mulch. Well I guess I should have used black plastic instead of fabric. I now have weeds growing up in the border. What can I use for weed control, that won't hurt the pond inhabitants should some find it's way into the pond?

Pulling the weeds is : #1 labor intensive, and #2 I can't keep up, due to my work schedule.

Reaction score
Country
United States
pull the weeds that you can cover them with thick brown paper bags and then use minimum of 6 to 10 inches of mulch on top the secret is in the depth of the mulch weed seeds can only grow so far from the ground up if they don't reach the sun they don't survive. Easy gardening thick mulch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When I have an area that is heavy with weeds, I don't even pull them. I sheet mulch with cardboard - I'll go four or five layers thick if the weeds are really bad - and then mulch over that. And @Blueeyes has it right - at LEAST 6 inches of mulch. More is better. The cardboard will break down in a year or two and leave you with nice, black dirt. Worms LOVE cardboard, so you'll attract lots of them to the area to help build the soil.

The problem with any kind of weed barrier is you will eventually get dirt on top of the fabric or plastic. Then the weeds will just grow right on top of your weed barrier. The weed barrier also prevents water from getting through, which can be a problem.

If you're asking for a weed killer that you can use around the pond, the answer is nothing commercially available is safe for pond life. You could try vinegar and water - mix equal parts in a spray bottle and pick a warm sunny day - spray anything you want dead. I would still try to stay away from the pond, but at least it won't be toxic if you get overspray.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pulling the weeds is : #1 labor intensive, and #2 I can't keep up, due to my work schedule.
Most of our weeds are bee friendly so we leave them. I do yank now and then. But sure can't keep up. I pick what area bothers me and yank there ow ignore.
And the groundhogs and rabbits do a good job at snacking on them.

Ask a Question