Weed is suffocating entire pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi would someone be able to tell me what this weed is and what we can do about it. See pics. If we remove it .. it just comes back each year. The ducks basically walk across the pond it is so thick, it's awful. Thanks.
20200525_165247.jpg

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Looks like Myriophyllum Aquaticum (AKA parrot's feather).

Maybe remove it as much as you can, and then add dye to the water to choke out what's left behind? Parts that are out of the water are also susceptible to herbicides (per Wikipedia). If you're vigilant about it (and the pond isn't super big), you might be able to get rid of it entirely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yup, it looks like some type of submerged water plant with algae on top of it. I think these types of plants are prevalent in stagnant water. Is there any way to get some water movement?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's hornwart fortunately one of the easiest to remove however leave one piece behind and it will start to grow again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all. There should be flow but it's slow at the moment. We'll start clearing again. There were fish in the pond but we have quite an active herin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@j.w how in the world do you keep track of all those imogeeeezz

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you all. There should be flow but it's slow at the moment. We'll start clearing again. There were fish in the pond but we have quite an active herin.
Oh my, so they have herons across the pond, as well? We (ponders) just can’t catch a break! Our backyard was visited by a great egret...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Offer it for local aquariums and ponds! I'd love more submerged plants, if I could find a local place to get them for free. Even better if it was some I could put in my aquariums too

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

That looks like hornwort. I have some growing, but it is contained in just the deep end. Every now and then and yank and toss some. The fish love it. I watch them eating it all winter and love to hang out in it. They feel safe there.

Ask a Question