Weed problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, this is my first post I have a large pond ( about 1/2acre) with an average depth of an 6 feet.
I’ve got a couple of weed problems
The first is floating green algae, I’ve started taking this out with a floating rake but it’s a real pain I have 9 grass carp in the pond about 9/10” long I put them in over a year ago at 5/6”. Will they eat the floating algae?
I also have two other plants in the pond which get out of hand in the summer.
Canadian pond weed and curly pond weed will the grass carp eat both of these?
Last year I spent about 40 hours raking most of these out with a big rake.
I live in Yorkshire England if that helps.
58FB0C1B-DB0D-47EF-890B-937E2AE6623E.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Is that a natural pond vs a lined pond? How deep is it?

Most of us have to routinely “garden” our ponds, removing overgrown or dead plants, and dealing with algae. Also, when the spring season begins, before the plants have a chance to grow and suck up the excess nutrients, it’s normal to see an overgrowth of algae.

Do you have any kind of aeration in the pond? A pump on a fountain, bubblers, etc? Keeping the water in motion can help.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome, I would agree that you will have to do some amount of maintenance, and yea basically everything Mmathis said, some sort of water movement system could definitely help. As far as those types plants, some say it is impossible to get rid of them, and so I would guess your best chances would be to ( in early spring, such as right now ) pull as much of the surviving stuff as you can to minimize the spread of it when the weather warms up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all, I dug the pond out about 9years ago and it’s clay lined about 6feet deep (average) my weed problems started last year when it got choked up with curly leaf pond weed ( potamogaton crispus) I spent hours trying to get it out where I could reach with a rake and rope.
I put 9 grass carp in thinking they might control the weed problem, they doubled in size so are eating some weed but I’m wandering if they can keep up with the growth. The floating algae isn’t a massive problem at the moment as it’s easier to get out when the wind blows it to one end ( I can net it out). I took a picture of the curly weed I took out last year I took out a pile about 50mtrs x 2mtrs x 1mtr deep but it took nearly a week ( hence the grass carp)
1614762238717.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all, I dug the pond out about 9years ago and it’s clay lined about 6feet deep (average) my weed problems started last year when it got choked up with curly leaf pond weed ( potamogaton crispus) I spent hours trying to get it out where I could reach with a rake and rope.
I put 9 grass carp in thinking they might control the weed problem, they doubled in size so are eating some weed but I’m wandering if they can keep up with the growth. The floating algae isn’t a massive problem at the moment as it’s easier to get out when the wind blows it to one end ( I can net it out). I took a picture of the curly weed I took out last year I took out a pile about 50mtrs x 2mtrs x 1mtr deep but it took nearly a week ( hence the grass carp)
View attachment 136782
Sorry about 1foot deep

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what the net says: They mention grass carp, herbicides, control of nutrients getting into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian,
First lines of defence for a 6ft pond would be aeration, dye and bacteria. I use Dyofix Blue Pond dye and bacteria. It will give your water very healthy clear yet dark blue look. I manage 14 acres of water and you'll see great results in depths of 6ft. Aeration and bacteria are very important for keeping the quality of your water - it'll make the fish more productive too. Grass carp are an effective method but their digestive systems aren't strong enough to completely destroy the weeds they eat so you need the bacteria to remove the suspended matter and nutrients that they leave behind, if you don't - this will effectively fertilize next years growth. A combination of this method should see progressive results, around 15% reduction in weeds each year. By year 5 you'll be looking at crystal clear water - and very hungry grass carp.
As for the algae, once you have these other measures in place you shouldn't get algae.

Ask a Question