Week old pond Ph Spikes can I use lemon juice to lower?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
scooter7728 said:
how many shells we talking about?

For 1200 gallon pond you can get a 5# bag for $5 attractor supply, You'll find it it in the chicken supplies. 5# should do pretty good for a while in 1200 gallons, My GH, KH are good from the tap, and the Ph is a little high. I have 5# in my 2500 gallons and it maintains the buffer pretty well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol it is expensive there fishin, I paid 9 dollars for 50 lbs at tractor supply.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
But if the ph creeps into the 8 or higher can I use citrus juice to lower it?
I'm also noticing mosquito larvae hiding in the border rocks.

A ph of 8 is not a problem. Buffering it so it doesn't fluctuate is more important. A ph can be 8.5 or 7.5 and the koi will adapt. You just don't ph fluctuations as that is what does the damage. I used to use the crushed oyster shells, now I keep an 8.4ph using baking soda. I buy 13 lb bags at BJ's and keep the kh up around 150 - 200. Koi are happy campers ....

i'm guessing if you plan on eating the fish at some point might aswell marinate them in lemon juice eh ? ..... just kidding folks

Love it !!! I'm still lol ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I put 100 lbs in my pond, which is around 9-10 k gallons, the shells are in the bog right where the water flows over them. The hardness is slowly going up.

I have a question. My ph is alway 8.3 - 8.4 as I use baking soda to buffer the pond. A BJ's 13 lb bag last almost through the summer. Naturally, baking soda has a ph of 8.4.

So my question is, does crushed oyster shells have a specific ph as baking soda or does it strictly buffer the existing ph whatever that might be?
Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a question. My ph is alway 8.3 - 8.4 as I use baking soda to buffer the pond. A BJ's 13 lb bag last almost through the summer. Naturally, baking soda has a ph of 8.4.

So my question is, does crushed oyster shells have a specific ph as baking soda or does it strictly buffer the existing ph whatever that might be?
Thanks

There is no specific answer to your question. It depends on the Oyster shells. Shells from different geographical locations will have different percentages of Calcium Carbonate in the overall shell composition, so target pH levels will vary. I have used them extensively in area ponds and the pH usually stabilizes at 7.6 - 7.8 which is close to ideal for Koi. I need to add a caveat here. I do not use the crushed oyster shells that can be found at feed stores, but rather the whole oyster shell.
I have also had very good results with Plaster of Paris 'biscuits'.
Both are good sources of 'on demand slow release' KH.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There is no specific answer to your question. It depends on the Oyster shells. Shells from different geographical locations will have different percentages of Calcium Carbonate in the overall shell composition, so target pH levels will vary. I have used them extensively in area ponds and the pH usually stabilizes at 7.6 - 7.8 which is close to ideal for Koi. I need to add a caveat here. I do not use the crushed oyster shells that can be found at feed stores, but rather the whole oyster shell.
I have also had very good results with Plaster of Paris 'biscuits'.
Both are good sources of 'on demand slow release' KH.

I used to use Plaster of Paris cupcakes that I made. Correct me if I'm wrong but I no longer can find Plaster of Paris that doesn't contain a resin in it. Have you read the fine print of ingredients? I thought there was something in there that stopped me from using it years ago. My tap water is ironically 8.3 ... Would the biscuits buffer it at that same ph? If so, wouldn't I be just as well continuing my baking soda as my buffer?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No reason to change if you are satisfied with your current results. Plaster of Paris contains no additives, construction plaster does. Most hobby stores carry POP, some big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot may also carry it.

Ask a Question