Weird Algae

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Hi all. I built my 2nd pond a little over a year ago. Due to it being in my front yard, it is only 13" deep in the center and in full sun. Last summer we got his crazy almost seaweed looking algae which I would skim off with a net almost daily. When the weather cooled the algae seemed to stop growing but it didn't go away completely and now that it is getting warm out it is starting to grow again. Hubby hates that we can't see our beautiful rocks because they are covered by this stuff. We have a large bio filter with UV light and also an aerator. I used to have minnows, but the racoons kept eating them and moving the rocks around to get to the fish, so I no longer have any fish in this pond. The set-up is a shallow pool with a bubbler and short stream into the main pond. I have watercress and lilies growing in the water (lilies are just starting to get this years leaves). I am in Southern California. I am wondering if the rocks we used have anything to do with the algae since they were recycled from someone's yard landscaping and could have had fertilizers etc... in them??? The water is and has always been perfectly clear. I have never had this issue in my backyard pond which was built with a preformed liner. I'm looking for a way to get rid of this algae and be able to see our rocks again without killing the watercress and lilies. I had heard somewhere about using Hydrogen peroxide, but wouldn't this kill my watercress and lilies also? I've use bottles algae remover and it did nothing on this type of algae. Any suggestions are VERY appreciated.
*Note I've let the water level go down so I could hit them with a strong water jet & scrub the rocks with a pool scrubber on a pole to try and remove this algae.

Attachments

• Pond1 algae up close.jpg
    Pond1 algae up close.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Pond3.jpg
    Pond3.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 37
  • POND4.jpg
    POND4.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Pond5.jpg
    Pond5.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
string algae is best halted by putting in more plants! The kind you like and will aggressively outcompete the algae. As you found out, the bottled fixes don't do much. Most here will tell you to take a brush and swirl the hair algae out. You obviously have more dissovled organics than your current plants can deplete.

All that said, I don't see hair algae as much as the type you actually want in a pond and unless you put in a chem that will undoubtedly kill all plant life, you're going to always have green on your rocks. It's just nature's way. Especially in full sun!

Hope this helps! Nice pond, btw!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Algae growing on the subtrate (rocks) is beneficial. Its good that your pond is so healthy. You would see the similar algae in clear water streams and lakes.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What is said here is great advice, however I will say, do the bacteria in your pond a favor and don’t drain the pond and scrub the rocks. This will only get rid of benifical bacteria and cause further algae growth.

I have seen hydrogen peroxide used in saltwater fish tanks, though similarly to scrubbing rocks, it is a quick fix and will simply cover up the symptoms for a short time rather than solve the problem.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
string algae is best halted by putting in more plants! The kind you like and will aggressively outcompete the algae. As you found out, the bottled fixes don't do much. Most here will tell you to take a brush and swirl the hair algae out. You obviously have more dissovled organics than your current plants can deplete.

All that said, I don't see hair algae as much as the type you actually want in a pond and unless you put in a chem that will undoubtedly kill all plant life, you're going to always have green on your rocks. It's just nature's way. Especially in full sun!

Hope this helps! Nice pond, btw!
Thank you. I didn't think this was string algae as it looks different from the string algae I used to get a little of in my backyard waterfall. I would just scoop that out by hand as it was never very much. But I'm far from an algae expert lol I'll definitely look into getting more plants!

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
What is said here is great advice, however I will say, do the bacteria in your pond a favor and don’t drain the pond and scrub the rocks. This will only get rid of benifical bacteria and cause further algae growth.

I have seen hydrogen peroxide used in saltwater fish tanks, though similarly to scrubbing rocks, it is a quick fix and will simply cover up the symptoms for a short time rather than solve the problem.
Thank you. I wasn't going to completly drain it as it has a great eco system. I just recentky let evaporation do its thing and didn't add more water so the water would be a little lower and I could use a water jet to knock some of the algae off and I did scrub the large rocks before but I never touch the smaller river rock in the bottom. I've pretty much resigned myself to enjoying the "natural" elements and last year the dragon flys were using it to breed, which was pretty cool, but hubby isn't happy with the algae and while I don't mind it in the pond, I don't want it taking over the river rocks in the bubbler area so I use the water jet up there occasionally. That area gets a very small amount of shade, unlike the pond. We are expecting rain in a couple days and after that I'll fill it up if the rain don't do it for me. I've ruled out the hydrogen peroxide as I don't want to kill the other plants or any beneficial bacteria. I will be adding more plants and see if that helps. If not, I'll just enjoy my wildlife pond :)

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Algae growing on the subtrate (rocks) is beneficial. Its good that your pond is so healthy. You would see the similar algae in clear water streams and lakes.
Thanks. I never thought about the camparison to stream/lakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Where I live, our brighter Spring sunshine and sporadically warm temps have started almost identical algal growth in my pond! I am going to try very hard to just leave it alone and let the pond do its thing. As things warm up even more, the good bacteria in the filter will start consuming more nutrients and the algae will begin to fade away.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I agree with you that it isn't string algae, I had both string algae and whatever this is in my pond last year, and this stuff is a whole other best to deal with, it somehow anchors itself into the rocks. So I would say just add more plants and let it wither away, and let your plants flourish!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fish love it . But if you want to kill it peroxide does the job . You just need to know the gallons of your pond . Then buy up some quilt batting to make a filter to pick up all the dead stuff that turns white , that is a fast fix but like people say the more you feed your fish the more plants you need to fight the waste fish produce . It is like when fish ponds are used to feed plants in a hydroponic system . Even adding plants to a filter will help but you will need to trim the roots on them often

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hint add plants to your filter as soon as you start it up . Also add calcium to your pond . My hubby loves clams and the shells are great for that

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
I agree with you that it isn't string algae, I had both string algae and whatever this is in my pond last year, and this stuff is a whole other best to deal with, it somehow anchors itself into the rocks. So I would say just add more plants and let it wither away, and let your plants flourish!
I agree this has been a whole different beast from what I've had a little of in the past. This has taken over EVERYTHING except the bubbler pool and it tries in there. More plants is my current plan. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
hint add plants to your filter as soon as you start it up . Also add calcium to your pond . My hubby loves clams and the shells are great for that
Thanks for the ideas. My filter has been going for over a year and there is no room for plants. I hadn't heard of using calcium. Fiest ting I'm going to do is try adding more plants.

Ask a Question