weird critters in my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
The past couple of weeks, I've been finding all kinds of weird critters in my pond...snails, baby fish, mollusky things and more. I decided they all must've come in with the plants I got a month ago...other than the baby fish which I can attribute to my unusually active comets. However, I nearly fell into my pond from surprise when I was looking in today and saw a huge 6 or 7 inch lobster looking thing. I guess it must've been a crayfish, but how the heck did it get in there?!! Is it okay to leave? I'm worried about that huge monster of a creature munching on my baby fishies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is a crayfish it will eat baby fish. The ones in Texas can live in wet soil and create mounds of mud around the holes they live in.
I have noticed sometimes while cleaning a small submerged filter that goes to the UV lite that even though it had been months since I washed out the pads they were almost clean and covered with weird crawly crab looking things about 1/8 to 1/4 inch long. I am assuming that these guys eat the muck on the pads and they don't seem to hurt the fish. When I called our water garden store to ask what they were the person I talked to didn't know what I was talking about. I think that she thought I was hallucinating. It is truly amazing what you can find in your pond!

Ask a Question