Weird critters in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
I cleaned out the pond yesterday (my fish winter indoors) all the muck I scooped out of the bottom I put into buckets.
I have been picking the snails out and putting them into the bog as the started migrating to the sides of the buckets.
Tonight I took a look and I see these 1" long kind of flat looking worms clinging to the sides of the buckets. I could not get a pic.
Any ideas what they may be?
I'm just a bit concerned because the pond was not pumped dry. I was pumping out while putting fresh water in to get the last of the green water out.
The sump pump can only get it down to the last half inch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I cleaned out the pond yesterday (my fish winter indoors) all the muck I scooped out of the bottom I put into buckets.
I have been picking the snails out and putting them into the bog as the started migrating to the sides of the buckets.
Tonight I took a look and I see these 1" long kind of flat looking worms clinging to the sides of the buckets. I could not get a pic.
Any ideas what they may be?
I'm just a bit concerned because the pond was not pumped dry. I was pumping out while putting fresh water in to get the last of the green water out.
The sump pump can only get it down to the last half inch.

Could you post a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
Could not get a picture in the dark. This morning they are not visible, guess there hiding in the muck.
If I see them tonight I will have to try and fish them out and bring them in the house to take a picture.

Where would leeches have come from? Are they harmful to the fish? Do they need to be killed somehow?
I've never heard of leaches in the wild in NJ.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Leeches or slugs of some sort. I found two clinging to the side wall of my pond just above the water line.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Could be big planaria.

Never ever heard of that. After google it basically is a worm that is found in ponds and possibly under logs. However they look brownish in nature. If what you spotted is blackish/gray, it may not be a planaria. However seems plausible that it may be.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Google skills Gino. Anyway,planaria vary quite a bit in size and coloration depending on what and how much they are feeding. I have them in my pond that are very dark colored,a few in my planted tank that are much lighter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure they are leaches. Now how did I get them. And are they harmful if there are any still in the pond or will the fish just eat them?

Ask a Question