Weird injury on one of my koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any idea what would have caused this type of injury to my Koi? There is basically a large flap of skin / tissue on its head

koiinjury.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is possible it hit a rock quite hard? Maybe being chased or doing the chasing of another fish? I think it will heal up ok, if the water quality is good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is possible it hit a rock quite hard? Maybe being chased or doing the chasing of another fish? I think it will heal up ok, if the water quality is good.
Very possible, the koi do tend to swim rapidly from time to time. Appreciate the feedback

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had one koi who used to do that to himself every single year. I don't know what he was hitting or how hard, but we called him "old hole in the head". Yes, I know that is an actual disease that can affect fish, but it wasn't. It was just an accident he had every single year. Probably during spawning, trying to impress some female.

Whatever caused it, watch for signs of infection. It should start to heal relatively quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possibly a failed heron stab? Is the pond netted?
Interesting, that could be. We've had heron problems in the past but I have netting around the perimeter and thick fishing line zig zagging across the top of the pond which I thought was doing the trick. Love to hear any heron deterrent recommendations you folks may have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting, that could be. We've had heron problems in the past but I have netting around the perimeter and thick fishing line zig zagging across the top of the pond which I thought was doing the trick. Love to hear any heron deterrent recommendations you folks may have.
Sometimes the deterrent prevents them from actually taking the fish, but they can still injure it with their beaks trying.

I think netting the pond is the best way. Several members here use wide weave nets that are hung above the pond, so they can easily enter the area and also they don't trap small birds and frogs.

I have a fence around the pond and a shade sail over it . Last year I kept it netted all summer in addition to those measures.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love to hear any heron deterrent recommendations you folks may have.
I use a wide weave net hung around 2-3 feet over the pond. Heron's fly over every day, used to stop and visit every day. Now they just fly on by.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I have adult peacocks, ( big ones!) who hang out around my yard next to my pond. They never go in the pond or mess with the fish. They ignore my dogs, and my dogs ignore them. I have never seen a heron stop by, although I have people from around here always say the herons eat their fish. Maybe Mr. Heron is scared to come down?

Ask a Question