Weird Pump Issue - Need Correct Sizing

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Hey All,

Been years since I posted, but need some assistance. Long story long, my Savio WMS 2050 GPH pump died after 10 years (crazy, I know). Put in a new one and I noticed the water level dropping at least 2 inches daily ( I confirmed it's the waterfall and not the liner). For giggles, I put in my Becket 1050 GPH pump that I used for cleanouts instead. Water level hasn't budged, but I'm wondering if that pump is sufficient. I tried calling the pond service that has been cleaning my pond for the last 10 years and the owner just blows off my texts and VMs. I can ASSume he doesn't like call backs for chasing leaks.

I'm looking for help on why the 2050 GPH pump is pushing water out. I've used that pump with no issues until this year. I'm also curious if it's the right size. My pond is roughly 400 gallons with a 3' head 15' of plumbing. Can I keep the 1050 GPH pump or do I need to size up?

Thanks,

Lew

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only thing that would be causing the loss if everything else is watertight would be that the pump is so strong that it is throwing water somewhere where it is getting out of the stream. You could easily slow down the flow with a valve. As far as using the other pump I'd give it a try and if everything looks fine after a week or two then go ahead and keep it.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I looked up the Beckett pump and it's actually 1150 GPH. Since I just bought the Savio which was spendy and can't return it, I may install a valve like you suggested and put it back in. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Lew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with mgmine. Maybe more splashing going on with the stronger pump.
I would like to add a long shot... maybe there's a small unoticeable leak in the plumbing somewhere which is not losing much water with the smaller pump. Then you change to a stronger pump forcing more water out of that small leak.
It would bother me not knowing exactly what was going on. I would check all the plumbing.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
No, I totally agree. I've used a Savio 2050 pump for 10 years with no issues. Thinking there might be a hairline crack somewhere. If I can get through the season with the 1150 pump, I'll troubleshoot and\or replace the plumbing in the fall when I shut down the pond.

Ask a Question