weird tiny creatures in my pond

Reaction score
Hello all! My 180 gallon rigid plastic pond (stocked last year with goldfish) emerged from its frozen state a few weeks ago. When it did, I noticed the sides of the pond covered with small stationary "things" (light colored tubes, about 1/2" long by maybe 1/16" wide), attached along their length to the side of the pond liner and spaced maybe 1" between them around the sides of the pond liner. Today my wife pulled a dead leaf out of the bottom of the pond and it was covered with these "things" as well, only she found that tiny worm-like creatures seem to be coming out of these "things."

Any idea what these are? I have never seen this kind of thing before, but we are relative newbies in the pond arena.

None of our three goldfish survived the winter (don't know if it's related to these creatures; our fish survived the winter the previous year (our pond is 2 ft deep, which keeps it from freezing to the bottom)). Would it be safe to restock with goldfish to eat these things or should we try to kill them first?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Pete

Ask a Question