Weird Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Today is November 6th and unbelievably our ponds water temperature is 15.3c with an airtemperature of 15.8c yesterday it was 16.5c .
The covers went on at the same time of year as it usesually does night time temperatures even went as low as 6c in october night time air temperature yet last night it didnt even get bellow that of 14.7c .
The fish by now would have been at 10c and we would have finished feeding them over three weeks or more ago yet here I am everyday going out still feeding them
Talk about rain too weve had a huge amount of it drop on Plymouth and I got a slight shock after a straight 48hrs of rain to find the ponds wter level just 1" bellow its lip , this is even though I drained the excess off just last weekend.
when we moved here in 1990 we would have been wrapped up to the nines at 3c
Our weather keeps on getting weirder and weirder surely this isnt natural it has to be global warming in operation, question being just how much higher will temperatures go up to and what effect will it have on the Northern Hemisphere ?
Is anyone else getting weird weather that you would call being along way off the normal?

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had switched to fall food several weeks ago and then stopped feeding when water temps went below 50f. Now weather has gotten warm and pond temps are at 60f! I have started feeding again. We had the heat on for 2 days and now have windows open! I really wanted to have a freeze so I could get bog plants cut back and bring in cannas and other plants. Now the forecast shows no hard freeze till at least late December. Planning minor surgery in the next couple of weeks so maybe this weather will continue till 2016!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I had switched to fall food several weeks ago and then stopped feeding when water temps went below 50f. Now weather has gotten warm and pond temps are at 60f! I have started feeding again. We had the heat on for 2 days and now have windows open! I really wanted to have a freeze so I could get bog plants cut back and bring in cannas and other plants. Now the forecast shows no hard freeze till at least late December. Planning minor surgery in the next couple of weeks so maybe this weather will continue till 2016!
Wow so our getting it too mrschem I've a feeking its the jetstream dragging warmer teperatures from down south.
The rain indicates the Caribbean is the area its coming from I recall the weather men talking about it when we had all that flooding a few years ago here in the UK

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not mind if it stayed this way all winter! I cut my lilies back and sunk them to the bottom this week but they were still sending up leaves and buds. I would love to have a warm and mild winter but I fear it will change soon. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mild winters are part of normal patterns, just like the last two really harsh winters were at the other end of extreme normal. In order for a "norm" to exist, you are going to have a span from high to low. Scientists who used to talk "global warming" now call it "climate change" I like to call it "weather".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Year on year from Childhood onwards the weather parterns that affect the winter weather in the UK are changing for the warmer we are lucky to see snow nowadays in the South West of the UK .
I pray for summer though my body doesnt like the wet damp weather we get nowadays during the winter at least theres a chance of sun back then :cool:
I find Its getting harder and harder to move without pain :( in the wet winter months

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We're sitting at 75 degrees in Cincinnati ! I feel bad, as I stopped feeding my fish in late Oct. during a cold snap. The warmer temps have some water celery and grasses that I'd cut back, regrowing.....so just letting koi nibble on that.

Personally, I'd love a mild winter this year :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It was muggy and hot yesterday so yeah we are getting weird weather here. Expected to rain and get colder this weekend but so far it's been an extremely mild fall. And Meyer, I hope that's not the case. I know the fish will be fine if it gets colder but I'll feel guilty if they get extra chilly. :D

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It was muggy and hot yesterday so yeah we are getting weird weather here. Expected to rain and get colder this weekend but so far it's been an extremely mild fall. And Meyer, I hope that's not the case. I know the fish will be fine if it gets colder but I'll feel guilty if they get extra chilly. :D

For us here on the Gulf Coast , I interpret the 'colder' Winter to mean that we will have more colder days, but because of the increased precipitation forecast, less time below freezing. Cold temperatures are way down on the list of things that we need to be concerned about as regards our fish.
Right now it is 82F with a heat index of 89F here in P'cola.

Ask a Question