Well crap!

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The landscapers finally started on my yard today. First order of business was digging the pond. They got about 3 inches down before running into incredible amounts of rock. Its shale and there's a lot of it. Well they were supposed to go 3 feet down, but by the end of the day they were at 2 feet. Since the rock is shale, it has slivered off in places and the pond is a few inches larger than it was supposed to be on all sides. You wouldnt think that would be a big deal, but the pond is fitting into a tight space and now I have very little room with retaining walls and concrete deck on 3 sides of the pond. Im considering telling them to not try to dig any deeper and doing a partially raised pond with landscape timbers making up the last foot above ground. I think that should be pretty easy to do and i have enough rocks that i can cover the timbers once finished and it still look somewhat natural. Does anybody here have experience building this type of pond or have any advice?

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Also, my thought would be to put a 2x10 down first with 2 layers of 4x4 on top and that should create a 6" shelf inside. Anybody see any issues with that idea?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no personal experience with building a raised pond, but there are a few folks here who have done it. Try searching the forum for relevant threads. Let me do a bit of searching too and see what I can find for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's one example:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem with doing a 2x10 laying on the ground and a 4x4 sitting on it and the 6 inches hanging out theres a very good chance the 2x10 will split due to the moisture and pressure. not because it can't handle the weigh but because it's just a bit thin. Doubling it up can solve that problem. also if you look at the end grain you can see the grain is a semi circle you want to have those layers with one semi circle facing up the other facing down so they work against each other making it very strong.

4x4 for a small raised pond works but for a deeper and larger pond 6x6 is a far better choice.

Ask a Question