Well...it happened....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sorry. That sucks! We've lost the occasional fish (koi) to raccoons, but it doesn't happen very often. I hope you're able to keep those little bandits at bay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the racoon ate ....8....large goldfish...my husband's out putting electric fence around whole yard...we don't need a ripped liner or gobbled fish...the others are hiding in the tunnel
That’s so sad! How deep is your pond? I have had nighttime visitors but having my pond at 42 inches always discouraging them from eating any fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That’s so sad! How deep is your pond? I have had nighttime visitors but having my pond at 42 inches always discouraging them from eating any fish.
My ponds are 15 feet and 16 feet deep, and when I have a Raccoon problem, they bite and eat my fish. I use live traps.
raccoon pics 2020 001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay...we will raise the water lev...thanks
I’ll never forget the very first time I ever built my pond and filled it with water I decided to sit outside at night so I could watch and listened to it. A few hours after nightfall I saw a creature come out of the shadows and I was surprised to see a large raccoon. They are so smart! I used to see mom and baby raccoons go into my old pond and stand on the plant shelves and wave their paws at my fish but they never got any…just some unlucky snails! If you have room you may want to consider adding something the fish can swim under and hide from a predator like a tunnel. Also floating plants and water lilies can provide good cover too so they can hide if they need to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ll never forget the very first time I ever built my pond and filled it with water I decided to sit outside at night so I could watch and listened to it. A few hours after nightfall I saw a creature come out of the shadows and I was surprised to see a large raccoon. They are so smart! I used to see mom and baby raccoons go into my old pond and stand on the plant shelves and wave their paws at my fish but they never got any…just some unlucky snails! If you have room you may want to consider adding something the fish can swim under and hide from a predator like a tunnel. Also floating plants and water lilies can provide good cover too so they can hide if they need to.
we have 3 tunnels and now the electric fence is up!..we've seen this coon around..we feed birds..so just another item on the buffet :rolleyes:

Ask a Question