Well, it's been another good start-up for the Koi Pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
All six of our Koi made it through another Fort Wayne. IN Winter. It was a really mild winter, so I'm not surprised that they made it. The water is crystal clear, and I decided to work on another project. I purchased a 50 gallon pickle barrel that I am going to use as "polish filter" that will get water pumped from the bog filter. I wanted to add a 20 foot small stream (about 2 feet wide) to add to the ponds beauty. I bought one of those 50 gallon red pickle barrels off of ebay, and used automotive grade water based paint to make it look like an ole' Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel. Here is what it looks like now.

https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=trine.edu&path=/attachmentlightbox

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I can't see a picture of the painted barrel, when I click on the link :(

Your pond ideas sound beautiful ! We finished construction today on a sand and gravel filter, using a 55 gallon barrel:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
All six of our Koi made it through another Fort Wayne. IN Winter. It was a really mild winter, so I'm not surprised that they made it. The water is crystal clear, and I decided to work on another project. I purchased a 50 gallon pickle barrel that I am going to use as "polish filter" that will get water pumped from the bog filter. I wanted to add a 20 foot small stream (about 2 feet wide) to add to the ponds beauty. I bought one of those 50 gallon red pickle barrels off of ebay, and used automotive grade water based paint to make it look like an ole' Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel. Here is what it looks like now.

Barrel.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
LOL...I clicked on the link and it redirected me to the Trine University Sign In Page.
Sorry MoonShadows. I "re-uploaded" the picture this morning when I realized it didn't post. :)

Going to run a 1" pipe from a 1000GPH pump from the bog filter to the barrel. Also going to plumb the pipe to an hand style well pump (with the piston removed) that will be mounted to the top circular part of a 36" wire spool (which will also act as a table for a couple of bar stools). The well pump will be mounted on the wire spool table top so it can drain into the barrel top. Clay pebbles and lava rock will be the media, and there will be a "spigot" at the bottom of the barrel that feeds a 16" wide river rock stream back to the koi pond. I'll post more pictures in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First, love the look of your barrel; the realism is really there!

Second, I'm doing something similar but as per Meyer's advice, I'm putting the barrel filter PRIOR to the bog so as to keep it from getting clogged as easily. The bog is the polisher and the drum is the prefilter, allowing me to have clearer pond water and an easier way to clean the filter proper (as opposed to bog backflushing as often). If you haven't finished yet, I'd put it ahead of your bog and run the stream from there, if you can.

I haven't camouflaged my drum yet but your paint job is inspiring!

Michael

Ask a Question