Well, it's not "koi clay," but there is a noticable improvement with bog plants!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Regarding my previous thread about "koi clay." What was that, about a week ago? At the time I posted that thread, I added some unscented, non-clumping kitty litter to the turtle bog [oh, and a little to the pond itself.....]. Maybe it wasn't supposed to, who knows, but my water does seem a little clearer [hard to tell as we've had overcast skies lately]. BUT, I had a couple of bog plants that were growing fine, but continued to be "anemic" looking. WOW! Did they ever make a turn-around! There must have been some kinda "good stuff" in that kitty litter [and it was fresh out of the bag, not used.....thought I should clarify that point since it's common knowledge that we have indoor cats].

Posting a few pictures, but when I looked at them I realized that for one of the plants, you couldn't tell much of a difference in the pictures, but I can tell there is a difference in real life. I think that's the one we decided was a Cardinal flower......
image.jpg

For the other plant, I think you'll see it right away! Again, the "before" picture doesn't look as bad as the plant actually did. I think that plant is a water hibiscus or something like that. And I promise, no photo-shopping was done.

Before.......
image.jpg

After...... [sorry I didn't catch the flower sooner -- it was gorgeous, take my word for it]
image.jpg

Now I can't wait for the REAL "koi clay" I ordered to arrive! Happy Dance!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
so you just put the clay in the bog? I have a bag, may be I should try. my bog plants are alive, but just that... alive... not thriving. i was wondering why. may be i should try putting some clay in there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
so you just put the clay in the bog? I have a bag, may be I should try. my bog plants are alive, but just that... alive... not thriving. i was wondering why. may be i should try putting some clay in there.
It can't hurt! I mixed it in with the gravel like I do the crushed oyster shells.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Clay, of any kind, is known to be very high in nutrients and trace minerals. Unfortunately, due to its structure, does not lend itself to most terrestrial plantings as a sole substrate. But when amended with a 'soil conditioner' such as peat moss, compost and/or grit, provides for plants at a level common garden soil cannot equal. This is true in aquatic plantings also.
But, too much mixed in with the gravel in a 'bog' can and will clog the system and cause water 'channeling' to develop.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had no idea. I thought Clay was the celery of the dirt world. Kinda just there to take up space. I had no idea it had nutrients and minerals.
Thanks for the info Meyer!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think you'll notice much difference from what you are now using.
Maybe not a difference as far as the over all effect, but there will be this difference: there won't be granules of undissolved kitty litter on the bottom of the pond, or mixing in with the bog gravel any more with the "koi clay," LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You might want to buy the book that I have "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". It's less than $10 and you can download it to your iPad.
It has a great section on how plants get their nutrients from the soil plus many other interesting things like a cross section of aquatic biofilm.
It also has a table of what nutrients aquatic plants require. I remember you had asked a while ago what specific nutrients plants require.
edit: also a great section on allelopathy
Here's a link to the book (Amazon bookstore - Canadian version. You will probably be redirected to the USA site because of your location)

http://www.amazon.ca/Ecology-Planted-Aquarium-Practical-Scientific/dp/0967377366

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You might want to buy the book that I have "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium". It's less than $10 and you can download it to your iPad.
It has a great section on how plants get their nutrients from the soil plus many other interesting things like a cross section of aquatic biofilm.
It also has a table of what nutrients aquatic plants require. I remember you had asked a while ago what specific nutrients plants require.
Here's a link to the book (Amazon bookstore - Canadian version. You will probably be redirected to the USA site because of your location)

http://www.amazon.ca/Ecology-Planted-Aquarium-Practical-Scientific/dp/0967377366
Thanks for the link. I did not realize that a Kindle app was available for PC.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mmathis. Not sure if you saw this in the other thread but i got this info sent to me from the guy I bought my Koi Clay from. My clay will be coming tomorrow in the mail:

1 tablespoon per 1000 gallons twice weekly

scattering the dry powder directly on the surface of the water works best

Never shut the waterfall down.

When you say shut your pond down does that mean you turn off the pumps and no longer use the filter?

If you keep everything running all winter long Except the waterfall then you shouldn't have such a bad algae problem.

Using clay in non-moving water with no pump and no operating filter will do nothing.

When you allow the water to stagnate it causes problems and there will ALWAYS be an algae bloom when you get things moving again because all those nutrients have built up through the winter. Putting an extra amount in at the beginnning of the season will accomplish nothing. It is the continuous dosing that makes things function properly

***So its 3/4 a cup twice a week for a 5000 gallon pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I had no idea. I thought Clay was the celery of the dirt world. Kinda just there to take up space. I had no idea it had nutrients and minerals.
Thanks for the info Meyer!
You add koi clay to the pond tbendl it keeps your fish in good health

Dave

Ask a Question