Well, it's not "koi clay," but there is a noticable improvement with bog plants!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use so much kitty litter my pond gets clay dusted a lot. I do not rinse the kitty litter, so when you put it in the pond the fine dust spreads out. It goes away pretty fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
First does of Koi Clay in the pond today. Almost broke my neck putting it in. Bent down on the perimter rocks with a 1/3 measuring cup full of Clay to get as close as the water as possible near my filter dump out. My flip flop caught the fishing line I have set up to keep the Herons away and almost fell in. The clay is so fine if you want to sprinkle it ontop of the water as was suggested to me by the company via email you need to get right ontop of the water or it will blow everywhere like baby powder in and out of the pond. The weird thing is the company sent me an email with the directions telling me to sprinkle it ontop of the water as it will work best but in the box came other directions that suggested mixing it with water and then putting it in the pond. Same company. 2 different recommendations. I think Im going to mix it in a pail before i put it in because its so fine the stuff blows everywhere and I want it all to get into the pond. Second dose of the week will be Saturday and Im mixing it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You and me both! Mind came today so I dosed the pond and the QT [which I keep running with a few goldies]. I didn't almost kill myself, though! You be careful! I just dumped mine in the water -- I liked watching the little "cloud" dissipate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put mine in a plastic container and drilled holes in the lid and shake it in all around the pond and down the middle of the pond .I turn all the pumps off and just leave aerator on so it can do it's job .I wait at least half an hour to turn the pumps back on .The longer it has to float around to clear water the better and this way it does not go into the filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I put koi clay in my watering can and fill it up with water. I mix it around with my hand so it all dissolves and then pour it all over the pond surface. That way I don't have to worry about the dust blowing everywhere.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have it easy i just lay on the bridge and sprinkle away .Thing is that in the watering can you don't want it to dissolve to much because the powder going in is what makes it adhere to the smallest particles as it sinks and dissolves .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's still very granular going into the pond @sissy . It doesn't really "dissolve" - I just make sure it's not clumping together in the bottom of the can.

Edited to add: I also make it into clay balls - get it wet enough to roll into a ball - and toss those into the pond. The fish love them!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have done that but added wet krill to the ball and it is like watching a hoard of bees attacking something sweet .

Ask a Question