well that was just expensive koi food *sigh*

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of frogbit to try out in the pond as a floating/cover plant. Last year I used salvina, and liked it, but it was a real PITA to clean up in the fall (it's not hardy in my zone so had to pull it all out). Frogbit is considered hardy where I am and seemed like it'd be a bit easier to pull if it was dying.

The koi ate all of it in about 3 hours.

They've also eaten the duckweed and fairy moss that I tried.

Last year, they left all the plants alone. However I've got two trouble makers that were introduced to the pond this spring after spending the fall and winter in my 90 gallon FORMERLY planted goldfish tank. Note the "formerly" - I couldn't wait to get them out of the goldfish tank because they ate all my plants. Seems they're now bent on doing the same in the pond.

What's worse, they're teaching their naughty habits to the rest of the pond fish!

*sigh*

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I bought 75 bucks worth of plants and repotting and planted them yesterday. 2 water poppys, 2 mosaic, and 2 lilys. Those dang fish of mine up-rooted every stinkin' pot.
So, I repotted what they didn't eat (no more mosiacs) oh well, no shade for them.

I wish I had a suggestion for you - but I have NOTHING.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a "flat" from the nursery and it floats by PVC tubing around it. Hyssop grows well in it and this provides a nice shade and filtration for the pond.

Koiguy has a great floating ring as well and that is in the previous post. It can be used for water lettuce or hyacinth since you control the depth of the plastic netting below the water level.

I keep my floating plants that I sell in my upper pond where the koi have not learned to eat them. My lower pond get an occasional one because they do.

Reaction score
I finally build a koiguy pond ring and I finally have some lettus growing with out the crazy fish destroying them. I can't wait until the plants fills out - it is not exactly cute right now.

Ask a Question