Well, we had a racoon/dog altercation

Reaction score
We've had a low maintenance koi pond for the past year with four koi in a pond my grandfather built, bout 4" by 7" and at least 4" deep with a waterfall. Well, two nights ago a giant racoon decided to do battle with our dog (our dog won by a wiiiide margin), but the two of them destroyed either the hosing, liner, waterfall, or all of the above. We didn't know it at the time as my wife and I were just trying to get the racoon past the fence, but most of the water drained out of the pond.

Long story short, we were able to save one of our koi. He's about eight inches long and is in a ten gallon tank in the house at the moment. I know *nothing* about how to care for fish, besides the beta we have that seems to care for himself. When we rescued the koi yesterday morning he was on his side, barely breathing. We transferred him to a large pot yesterday then to the 10 gallon tank today.

Basically here is our problem--it's going to be weeks at best before we get the pond repaired. the koi at the moment is freaking out in the tank, and my wife is very, very sad over the loss of the other three. What do I need to do to keep this koi alive? He keeps wanting to swim through the side of the tank (like I would do honestly), he's gulping quite a lot, but he is no longer swimming on his side like he was doing yesterday.

Anyway, advice is appreciated. I have a shocked fish *and* a shocked wife at the same time. Thanks for you time

Reaction score
As you stated this must be quite a shock to the poor fish. And after being used to a pond, it is no wonder he is trying to swim through the glass. I would use material, an old towel, poster board, whatever and cover around the aquarium. That way he can see it is solid and he can't swim through it. Also get some stress ease from the pet store and follow the directions on the bottle. I think it is a tablespoon per 10 gallons for stress. If he makes it through the stress he should be fine. And 10 gallons is enough for him for a short time if you have enough circulation. Be careful once you get the pond back up. Make sure the water temp is close to the same he is in now and use the stress ease again in the pond. Also whenever I transfer fish I float them like you do when you first bring them home from the store. I is a slower transition and less shocking. Hope this helps, good luck!

Reaction score
I recommend that you purchase a 30 gal rubber tote. It is cheap and larger than the 10gal you are using now which will decrease the amount of water changes you'll have to do.

Also, check and adjust the water quality of the tank as you would the pond. If you don't have an aerator or a filter, you'll have to check the water quality daily. If you get the equipment for this time, you can use it in the future for a Quar tank, which will be quite handy as I expect you'll be purchasing new fish soon. In case you didn't know, it is highly advisable to quar new fish before introducing them to your established pond and fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree with bunny. Go to Home Depot and get a 32 gallon plastic storage tub. I also recommend a circulation pump in the tub. Harbor Freight, $15. You will find many uses for this pump. Do frequent water changes and the fish will be fine until you get the pond back. Cover the tub or he will jump out.

Ask a Question