What a weird time of year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have had some cold snaps in the 20s. Then we were up to 80. After a ton of rain, we went up to 62 today. More big rain coming and cold, cold, cold. Today I decided I'd better take advantage of the warmth and hand-grab some leaves from around the pond margins and bog. I had a whole big, black garbage bag full! There is more to do, but I'm glad I got done what I did. I guess some critters will appreciate the sunken leaves over the winter. I can finish cleaning up in the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's been my late-fall-into-winter approach, too. Got all the "have to do" projects done, and now I just take advantage of any warm and/or sunny days to do a few things here and there. Just enjoying any chance I can get to be outdoors at this time of year! And longing for spring...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have had some cold snaps in the 20s. Then we were up to 80. After a ton of rain, we went up to 62 today. More big rain coming and cold, cold, cold. Today I decided I'd better take advantage of the warmth and hand-grab some leaves from around the pond margins and bog. I had a whole big, black garbage bag full! There is more to do, but I'm glad I got done what I did. I guess some critters will appreciate the sunken leaves over the winter. I can finish cleaning up in the spring.
I scoop as many leaves as possible when falling. But once that's over I too just take some of the leaves there's a few pockets where the leaves gather but I leave those for the frogs and what ever Inverts and others may call that home for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The water was very cool but not super cold. As usual, the fish were ecstatic that I was stirring things up and making a mess. They were super nosy and found lots to eat! Even after I went inside and cleaned up, there were still a bunch of little circular "surface strikes." I think those were from the crazy minnows.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pond is a toasty 44 all covered with ice right now. 17f this am

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Our pond is a toasty 44 all covered with ice right now. 17f this am
Brrrrr! We are expecting the lowest low so far next week - 26. It will be interesting to see if any parts of the pond freeze, since this is its first winter. Stay warm!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel

Here it feels like winter has been cancelled altogether! We've had a bit of rain, but nowhere near what we should have had by this late in the season. Temperatures are still warm in the afternoon -- short-sleeve weather, but cooler at night. By this time last year, the leaves on the pomegranate tree were golden and falling. Now they're mostly still green. Not much chance of getting any color on the crepe myrtle this year, unless we get a really cold spell soon. Fish are still plenty active and follow me around as I go about gardening chores.

It's cool seeing pictures of people's ponds in the snow, but my first thought is always: better you than me! ;-) The last time we had snow where I live was 25 years ago, though it used to be fairly common. Just 2 degrees of warming makes a pretty big difference! But I do worry about the lack of rain.

Ask a Question