What affects Koi color changes?

Reaction score
Age? Health? Happiness? Does it just happen when it happens without rhyme or reason?

I only have one koi (by accident) and am currently treating a pond-wide illness. My 6" koi had some fin rot/damage such as fraying and just... disintegrating? (there was never any "fuzzy" to the affected areas of his fins, nor was there any redness, etc.)

About a week into CopperSafe/salt/Medi-Gold treatment, he started to get some darkened areas across and to the edge of his tail in 3 different places of his formerly all white tail. I got worried and have kept a close eye on the condition of his tail, but it never frayed or looked damaged in ANY way, and now it's been an additional week since noticing the darkened areas, which are varying shades of gray, no fuzz, no rot/redness.

I now think that i initially overreacted and he's just developing more color. :) And since I'm such a noob at ponding, especially koi... I was just curious what the criteria are for Koi Color-Change Super Powers. ;)

Edit: forgot to mention that his colors are orange and black on a white.background... a little more white than orange & black, but otherwise a pretty equal amount of all 3 except the tail which as previously just white.

Ask a Question