What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
I am getting whatever the stuff is pictured on the bottom of my even though I am doing water changes, cleaning filters (bio balls are rinsed with pond water), adding colorant, adding liquid bacteria and clarifier, etc. Is my filter not enough? Pond is approx. 8x12, deepest is 3', average is about 1.5'. UV in pressurized filter continues to blow bulbs.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
I am getting whatever the stuff is pictured on the bottom of my even though I am doing water changes, cleaning filters (bio balls are rinsed with pond water), adding colorant, adding liquid bacteria and clarifier, etc. Is my filter not enough? Pond is approx. 8x12, deepest is 3', average is about 1.5'. UV in pressurized filter continues to blow bulbs.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They look like they are glowing
What color colorant are you adding ?
Are your bulbs burning out... Or popping ?
Nice pond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
They look like they are glowing
What color colorant are you adding ?
Are your bulbs burning out... Or popping ?
Nice pond

Reaction score
Is that the bottom of the pond? If so, do yourself a favor and get those rocks out of the bottom of the pond. I battled the rocks on the bottom for a while and just did what several people recommended. (take the rocks out) To much debris gets caught in between them. But, I did try something called Microlibe sludge away. That might help temporarily.

Reaction score
Is that the bottom of the pond? If so, do yourself a favor and get those rocks out of the bottom of the pond. I battled the rocks on the bottom for a while and just did what several people recommended. (take the rocks out) To much debris gets caught in between them. But, I did try something called Microlibe sludge away. That might help temporarily.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The colorant I added was made by Crystal Blue, says it's safe for humans, pets, plants and fish. I also use their Bio-Clear to "remove sludge, waste and debris naturally". Both are a liquid. Thanks for the compliments. I have put a great deal of time and effort (as we all do) into the pond. My husband threatens to fill it soon as I get frustrated:) The bulbs in the UV in the Sunterra pressurized filter are burning out. Actually, one lasted a season and the other one about a week this summer. The next one I put in didn't work at all. I cannot imagine trying to remove all of the rock. I tried to use a shop vac to clean it but that filled to quick. I also used the pressure washer to stir it up and chase the "stuff" to the skimmer box. The "glow" could be from the combination of colorant and filters on the lens of my camera. Is the pressurized filter big enough?

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The colorant I added was made by Crystal Blue, says it's safe for humans, pets, plants and fish. I also use their Bio-Clear to "remove sludge, waste and debris naturally". Both are a liquid. Thanks for the compliments. I have put a great deal of time and effort (as we all do) into the pond. My husband threatens to fill it soon as I get frustrated:) The bulbs in the UV in the Sunterra pressurized filter are burning out. Actually, one lasted a season and the other one about a week this summer. The next one I put in didn't work at all. I cannot imagine trying to remove all of the rock. I tried to use a shop vac to clean it but that filled to quick. I also used the pressure washer to stir it up and chase the "stuff" to the skimmer box. The "glow" could be from the combination of colorant and filters on the lens of my camera. Is the pressurized filter big enough?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Are the little crystal rocks all over the bottom of your pond ?
How is your water from the fist pic it dosent look bad..But it is a wide shot
Take one of the water

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Are the little crystal rocks all over the bottom of your pond ?
How is your water from the fist pic it dosent look bad..But it is a wide shot
Take one of the water

Reaction score
I know the feeling - my hubby threatens me too about the pond. But, I just keep on telling him the next thing we are going to do with the pond. (lol)
You pond is very pretty so you must be doing something right.

Reaction score
I know the feeling - my hubby threatens me too about the pond. But, I just keep on telling him the next thing we are going to do with the pond. (lol)
You pond is very pretty so you must be doing something right.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
What type of pump to you have.
I have the same system [Sunterra] ,but I'm running two of them with two different pumps. Moving water is clean water!

Check your pump,make sure it is clean of debris.....
And check your wiring.......
You need more water movement........,before ripping out rocks.
IMHO

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
What type of pump to you have.
I have the same system [Sunterra] ,but I'm running two of them with two different pumps. Moving water is clean water!

Check your pump,make sure it is clean of debris.....
And check your wiring.......
You need more water movement........,before ripping out rocks.
IMHO

Reaction score
The bottom is covered with rocks that are anywhere from 3-4 inch to pea gravel size. It was washed gravel and mostly round rock, so I'm not sure I am understanding the "crystal" rock question. My water is basically clear other than the stuff laying in the bottom. I do have string algae in my falls that is dark green as well as some dark green algae by the old hand pump where the water hits the liner. No pea green soup. So I may need to move my water more? Like another pump? And another filter? Geez... light bill went up $90 last month. Not all from the pond of course but I sure dislike the idea of running anymore electricity. Pump is a Sunterra 4300gal/hr and is clean of debris, just hauled it out of the skimmer box yesterday and had a small leaf on the intake only. Skimmer has a leaf catching net and a blue mat filter for air conditioner I bought at Menards. I used a toilet brush to move the stuff around on the bottom to push it toward the skimmer but that could be a 4 hr job and then the next day it looks like I didn't do it. Am I expecting it too be too clean? If I leave it tho, it ends up with lots more on the bottom. I have 2 5" koi and about 12 3" feeder goldfish. I feed them rarely. Lots of mosquitoes here so should be plenty of larvae and other stuff to eat in the pond. What wiring should I check? The UV wiring all looks fine. Checked the transformer connections, etc.

Ask a Question