What are my Koi Worth ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am selling my Koi and don't know what price to sell them for. I have Doitsu, Platium Ogon, and a Utsuri that are about 16inches long, a yellow Butterfly Koi thats 12inches long and a Yamabuli Ogon that is about 24inches long. Any Ideas ? Any help would be appreciated ...
20150813_115515.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am selling my Koi and don't know what price to sell them for. I have Doitsu, Platium Ogon, and a Utsuri that are about 16inches long, a yellow Butterfly Koi thats 12inches long and a Yamabuli Ogon that is about 24inches long. Any Ideas ? Any help would be appreciated ...View attachment 89824

Robert you could saythey are worth whatever the buyer will agree too....
However dont ask for too high a price just one that they will be comfortable in paying that way you'll make a sale say the equivulent of £50.00 to £60.00 UKP unless you paid much more for them than that, then ask higher

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Robert you could saythey are worth whatever the buyer will agree too....
However dont ask for too high a price just one that they will be comfortable in paying that way you'll make a sale say the equivulent of £50.00 to £60.00 UKP unless you paid much more for them than that, then ask higher

Dave

It's impossible to tell from the picture but £50 to £60 UKP seems very very low. That's well under $100 US. I've seen prices and there are many many variables. I have one Koi I purchased 3 years ago which was a Japanese Import ( without doubt ) and it was only 5" @ $250... Rather pricey but he's a beautiful fish now at 18" ... On the other side of the coin, you could pick up something similar in looks that might be the same size for $40, not an import. In 3 years, you would be surprised at the markings
and stunted growth that you might see ... or not ...

My son in law had 2 koi in his 50 gallon tank. He broke it down and gave me 2 koi, identical in size, both approximately 3" ... that was in mid 2012 ... One is now about 9", the other 18" and has a full body to boot with amazing color. It always amazes me how the genetics play such a large role.

I think I'd go around pricing them, comping them as you comp a house and then naturally sell them for a reasonable amount less.
Or, if money isn't a major factor and you find a great home, give them away ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It's impossible to tell from the picture but £50 to £60 UKP seems very very low. That's well under $100 US. I've seen prices and there are many many variables. I have one Koi I purchased 3 years ago which was a Japanese Import ( without doubt ) and it was only 5" @ $250... Rather pricey but he's a beautiful fish now at 18" ... On the other side of the coin, you could pick up something similar in looks that might be the same size for $40, not an import. In 3 years, you would be surprised at the markings
and stunted growth that you might see ... or not ...

My son in law had 2 koi in his 50 gallon tank. He broke it down and gave me 2 koi, identical in size, both approximately 3" ... that was in mid 2012 ... One is now about 9", the other 18" and has a full body to boot with amazing color. It always amazes me how the genetics play such a large role.

I think I'd go around pricing them, comping them as you comp a house and then naturally sell them for a reasonable amount less.
Or, if money isn't a major factor and you find a great home, give them away ....
Yes I agree to more if these koi are top grade fish but he will need to know the providence to his koi i;e exactly which breeder they came from their original cost etc to get a higher price.
Here in the UK at this moment in time people want to know these things also if they are from a CyHV3 or koi herpes virus free japanese breeder.
With the CyHV3 virus being proved now to be a sleeper or latent virus that is a major priority as you dont want to buy koi that are infected.
The fact they have lived in his pond doesnt mean they are.
We had our club health officials koi fall foul of it 10 years after he last ever brought a koi he was a BKKS trained health officer and believe you me he really knows his stuff so if he can have the CyHV3 virus anyone can .
As I said its up to what the buyer will comfortably pay for them and what he is comfortable in asking .

Dave
which country they originally came from i;e Israeli or Japanese will also reflect on the price as many people want nothing other than Japanese stock .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes I agree to more if these koi are top grade fish but he will need to know the providence to his koi i;e exactly which breeder they came from their original cost etc to get a higher price.
Here in the UK at this moment in time people want to know these things also if they are from a CyHV3 or koi herpes virus free japanese breeder.
With the CyHV3 virus being proved now to be a sleeper or latent virus that is a major priority as you dont want to buy koi that are infected.
The fact they have lived in his pond doesnt mean they are.
We had our club health officials koi fall foul of it 10 years after he last ever brought a koi he was a BKKS trained health officer and believe you me he really knows his stuff so if he can have the CyHV3 virus anyone can .
As I said its up to what the buyer will comfortably pay for them and what he is comfortable in asking .

Dave
which country they originally came from i;e Israeli or Japanese will also reflect on the price as many people want nothing other than Japanese stock .

Dave, How long can the KHV linger without coming out. During the Sandy storm we had, I lost 9 of my 11 Koi. I now have 11 again. In that 3 plus year period, wouldn't it have come out if it were prevalent amongst one of my koi in that time frame? My water temps can go up into the 80's for some time during the summer months. I believe it appears at 75F if recall correctly.
OR, can it remain dormant indefinitely in one, passing onto others? Yet in over that 3 year period, I lost one koi do to eggs that were literally not going to come out. After an autopsy using a scope, the koi was otherwise healthy and bloated with eggs for nearly a year.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to check your local Craigslist and see if anyone is selling koi and what prices they are asking. I don't know how many koi keepers there are in your area so it may vary. I have my koi (mutts to imported) anywhere from $5. -$250. It all depends on what people in your area are willing to pay. I have seen a local pond keeper here try to sell koi for $1500. (unsuccessfully)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, How long can the KHV linger without coming out. During the Sandy storm we had, I lost 9 of my 11 Koi. I now have 11 again. In that 3 plus year period, wouldn't it have come out if it were prevalent amongst one of my koi in that time frame? My water temps can go up into the 80's for some time during the summer months. I believe it appears at 75F if recall correctly.
OR, can it remain dormant indefinitely in one, passing onto others? Yet in over that 3 year period, I lost one koi do to eggs that were literally not going to come out. After an autopsy using a scope, the koi was otherwise healthy and bloated with eggs for nearly a year.
barryian the sad truth is and Meyer will back me on this is nobody knows if our koi have the latent CyHV3 virus , it took 10 years for it to appear in the koi I told you about in our club whereas in the South African case it was just a few weeks the first thing like the case in our club is koi started dying 3 one day another three the next a further two the next it was then our health official recognised they had a suspected case of KHV [CyHV3] this was confirmed when he took two koi one dead the other alive for study and once the fish where autopsied it was immediately clear as to the reason their brains had turned to mush as had the insides , there are other tellers like heavy mucus, sunken eyes, gills that are totally shot to name just a few..
The problem is unlike the SVC Spring Viraemia of Carp [Rhabddvirus Carpio] which is a reportable disease world wide CyHV3 is not , its up to the individual Countries to make it a reportable disease.
Raising the pond temperature to 25.c then lowering it and raising it in rapid succession is one way to see if your koi break out with it , it is however it enters a dormant state at around 7.c
In South Africa they do things differently trying to bring it on by driving a Landrover or jeep at spead over rough ground to see if the stress caused by this activates it .
Srangely Meyer and I were talking via email about these very virusess just yesterday .
I put together an Article about the Latent CyHV3 [KHV] virus after learning of my friends distress it makes for intersting reading :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/khv-cyhv3.27/

We all used the same dealership who were CyHV3 aware and went to great lengths to detect it but this slipped past them somehow we are all club wise hoping that our own koi where not infected but the truth is that nobody in the koi world knows if they have it or not

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
barryian the sad truth is and Meyer will back me on this is nobody knows if our koi have the latent CyHV3 virus , it took 10 years for it to appear in the koi I told you about in our club whereas in the South African case it was just a few weeks the first thing like the case in our club is koi started dying 3 one day another three the next a further two the next it was then our health official recognised they had a suspected case of KHV [CyHV3] this was confirmed when he took two koi one dead the other alive for study and once the fish where autopsied it was immediately clear as to the reason their brains had turned to mush as had the insides , there are other tellers like heavy mucus, sunken eyes, gills that are totally shot to name just a few..
The problem is unlike the SVC Spring Viraemia of Carp [Rhabddvirus Carpio] which is a reportable disease world wide CyHV3 is not , its up to the individual Countries to make it a reportable disease.
Raising the pond temperature to 25.c then lowering it and raising it in rapid succession is one way to see if your koi break out with it , it is however it enters a dormant state at around 7.c
In South Africa they do things differently trying to bring it on by driving a Landrover or jeep at spead over rough ground to see if the stress caused by this activates it .
Srangely Meyer and I were talking via email about these very virusess just yesterday .
I put together an Article about the Latent CyHV3 [KHV] virus after learning of my friends distress it makes for intersting reading :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/khv-cyhv3.27/

We all used the same dealership who were CyHV3 aware and went to great lengths to detect it but this slipped past them somehow we are all club wise hoping that our own koi where not infected but the truth is that nobody in the koi world knows if they have it or not

Dave

That is amazing. So though I never had a problem in 24 years re: KHV, what I've purchased 3-1/2 years ago after losing my koi to the storm, could come out at any time. There's no way to test or tell if they are carrying it? So just hope for the best? How do we buy koi today? Quarantining won't make a difference, correct? I'll read the your link which I just saved when I have some time later or in the morning. Thanks Dave ...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That is amazing. So though I never had a problem in 24 years re: KHV, what I've purchased 3-1/2 years ago after losing my koi to the storm, could come out at any time. There's no way to test or tell if they are carrying it? So just hope for the best? How do we buy koi today? Quarantining won't make a difference, correct? I'll read the your link which I just saved when I have some time later or in the morning. Thanks Dave ...

Let me just add a footnote to Dave54's fine explanation. The last time I checked (over a year ago) there were 16 identifiable strains of CyHV3 (KHV) virus extant. These strains have mortality ranges of 20% to 95%. This virus can only be detected by PCR or more extensive methods. It is now known that it can be carried by other species though they may be immune to it. Goldfish, unfortunately for pond owners, is one of these carrier specie.
It was once believed that raising the water temperature to at least 86F and holding it for prolonged periods rendered the virus inactive. Besides the risk to the fish of the exposure to this high temperature treatment it was discovered that it only seemed to work on certain strains.
Like any other bacterial or viral vector, manifestation of symptoms related to CyHV3 will only occur when a fish in in an immuno-compromised state.I suspect that many of the Koi health and mortality issues brought to this Forum are caused by some strain of this virus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Let me just add a footnote to Dave54's fine explanation. The last time I checked (over a year ago) there were 16 identifiable strains of CyHV3 (KHV) virus extant. These strains have mortality ranges of 20% to 95%. This virus can only be detected by PCR or more extensive methods. It is now known that it can be carried by other species though they may be immune to it. Goldfish, unfortunately for pond owners, is one of these carrier specie.
It was once believed that raising the water temperature to at least 86F and holding it for prolonged periods rendered the virus inactive. Besides the risk to the fish of the exposure to this high temperature treatment it was discovered that it only seemed to work on certain strains.
Like any other bacterial or viral vector, manifestation of symptoms related to CyHV3 will only occur when a fish in in an immuno-compromised state.I suspect that many of the Koi health and mortality issues brought to this Forum are caused by some strain of this virus.

I like what you and Dave wrote but I don't really like the idea of waking up one day and seeing 3 koi floating! How prevalent is it to have koi for years and have an outbreak? Very likely, very unlikely, not that I'll be losing sleep over it as like too short but it's unsettling. Having such a passionate hobby and knowing you can lose all your koi in a heart beat, well, I never knew it was that serious. I always thought I was safe as so many years have gone by. Guess not. In Dave's article, he mentions there's a good chance we all are likely to have the CyHV3 lurking. Though my hearts not in it and I'd rather keep my head in the sand, I do have to read Dave's link in full .... just browsed it while watch Castle ....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I like what you and Dave wrote but I don't really like the idea of waking up one day and seeing 3 koi floating! How prevalent is it to have koi for years and have an outbreak? Very likely, very unlikely, not that I'll be losing sleep over it as like too short but it's unsettling. I do have to read Dave's link ....
barryian if its a repotable virus in the UK then its reportable in the US too , the onus is on us to recognise the the fact we have an outbreak and inform your fisheries and farming authority , its not something you can hope will go away its something that by law you have to report and its illegal not too....
Not because of the monitory value of our koi but to protect the nations fisheries and as Meyer pointed out in our last correspondence the value of these fisheries far outstrips the value of our koi and its own industry .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
barryian if its a repotable virus in the UK then its reportable in the US too , the onus is on us to recognise the the fact we have an outbreak and inform your fisheries and farming authority , its not something you can hope will go away its something that by law you have to report and its illegal not too....
Not because of the monitory value of our koi but to protect the nations fisheries and as Meyer pointed out in our last correspondence the value of these fisheries far outstrips the value of our koi and its own industry .

Dave

Yes, I understand ... I was reading this ... Is there any validity to the last paragraph that the koi is no longer a carrier after this treatment or are they just selling " Koi Fix " ? ...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The problem is that it is not considered a reportable disease in either the UK or the U.S. and as such there is no one to report it to. At least no one that is going to take any meaningful action.
In response to your concern about the Koi in your pond Barryian. let me just add this and you can make your own determination.
This virus was first identified in the late 1990s. It was not until recent years that its apparent inherent ability at latency was known. It is known that its level of infection in Koi is not only determined by what strain of the virus is being dealt with but also the genetic make-up of the Carp that it infects. It has been discovered that Carp (Koi) that have their genetic roots in the Amur strain of carp are strongly resistant to the virus, whereas, sadly for pond owners, Carp (Koi) that have their genetic roots in the Japanese strain have the least resistence to this virus. Knowing where your Koi originated (gene-wise) may provide more information, but it may not help you to sleep any better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that it is not considered a reportable disease in either the UK or the U.S. and as such there is no one to report it to. At least no one that is going to take any meaningful action.
In response to your concern about the Koi in your pond Barryian. let me just add this and you can make your own determination.
This virus was first identified in the late 1990s. It was not until recent years that its apparent inherent ability at latency was known. It is known that its level of infection in Koi is not only determined by what strain of the virus is being dealt with but also the genetic make-up of the Carp that it infects. It has been discovered that Carp (Koi) that have their genetic roots in the Amur strain of carp are strongly resistant to the virus, whereas, sadly for pond owners, Carp (Koi) that have their genetic roots in the Japanese strain have the least resistence to this virus. Knowing where your Koi originated (gene-wise) may provide more information, but it may not help you to sleep any better.

May I correct you on one point there Meyer the UK has made the CyHV3 virus a reportable illness ...

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One of the things that I noticed on this site was this statement--*Effective against secondary bacterial infections associated with Koi Herpes Virus (K.H.V.).
Keywood here is secondary. the primary infection is KHV for which there is no cure. The is a vaccine developed in Israel that at one time was available to vets in the U.S., but as far as I know it is not presently available.

The other thing that I noticed on this company site was the plug for a porn site. Interesting company to say the least.

Ask a Question