What are some good ways to insulate a stock tank? (and a TT)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Somewhere in another thread, I think I brought up a similar topic, but now looking for more specific help....

Three hundred gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. It's my QT. Cold weather crept up [while I was busy with other things] before I had a chance to do any kind of a surround -- so that's not going to happen this season. But it is still my QT and I'd like to keep it going. For the past 5 or 6 days, the temp in the tank has been in the mid-40's [ F ] range, but come Jan/Feb, I'm sure we're looking at near-freezing [of the tank water].

1. OUTSIDE insulation -- would wrapping it in something like bubble wrap, or rolled insulation do any good at all? Or a combination of both? Other suggestions?
  2. What would make a good covering for the top -- something to prevent the loss of whatever "heat" is in the water from escaping -- and how much of an opening should be there for gas exchange?
  3. and what about heaters for a tank that size? Can you regulate the temp at all with those? Or are they only intended to prevent ice? IOW, would a heater do any good at keeping a slightly higher [than freezing] temp?
Also, I have a DIY trickle tower going as filtration, which I know isn't the best to have during cold weather. I covered the totes loosely with foam sheets [actually, some camping pads] just to help cut back on the amt. of heat loss. I also sprayed GREAT STUFF on the tubings to help keep them insulated.

Suggestions & comments welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We wrappd two sheets of 22mm polistyrene silversided bubblewrap and roof insulsation around our pond you could do the same with your stock tank Maggie

Dave

Ask a Question