What are some of the better pond filters?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pond filters for 500-1000 gallon. I came accross Filtoclear 1600, Fish Mate AN-266, and the SICCE Green Reset 25 Pond Filter. Which one is better one as far as reliability and easiy cleaning?

On another note, my brother has an old pool filter tank that he does not use anymore. It still works. Would I be able to use that for my pond filter?

Regardless of which filter I use, I would have to have a strong enough pump, correct? What pump do you guys recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
pool filters seem to be a little overkill I think they work but they cost alot to operate and might need to be backflushed a bunch.

I am using a 5 gallon pail with some lava rock and 6 inches of filter media. I am probably running about 400 GPH through it now.

The down side of this design is that if it clogs it will blow the top off and start wasting water all over my lawn. Currently I am getting about 4 days before it loads up.

I will be coverting it to be suction side to avoid this problem. my pond is very natural in the end. it has sand bottom on top of a liner so I have biological action all over the pond.

The most fish I maintained with this type of system was 4 large Koi and 24 Comets+- I would have to clean out the filter media every 1 to 1.5 weeks.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Home made!! It depends on what kind of filtering you are trying to do, do you want something you can drop n the pond, something that sits outside? you said you are looking for something that is for 500-1000 gallon pond, what type of fish load do you have in the pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Filtoclear 1600, Fish Mate AN-266, and the SICCE Green Reset 25 Pond Filter ---- Seriously, don't waste your money! DIY-- Do IT Yourself, We have a whole section here on the forum that shows how to build all kinds of filters that will cost far less and be far more effective. If you want a already made filter look into a filter fall unit. they aren't that expensive and if maintained properly can give years and years of service without any problems. The biggest key is maintaining, None are maintance free, the more fish the more they need to be maintained, and we don't me cleaning everything out and washing everything off once a week or when algae starts growing in the pond. They need to be backflushed and the water prefiltered before going to you bacteria bed. as for pumps, the smaller the pond the more important good flow rate is. On a 500-1000 gallon pond I would recommend at least a 500gph pump at minimum and if it were me I would more consider a 1100-1500 gph to help keep oxygen levels as high as possible,

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
pool filters seem to be a little overkill I think they work but they cost alot to operate and might need to be backflushed a bunch.

I am using a 5 gallon pail with some lava rock and 6 inches of filter media. I am probably running about 400 GPH through it now.

The down side of this design is that if it clogs it will blow the top off and start wasting water all over my lawn. Currently I am getting about 4 days before it loads up.

I will be coverting it to be suction side to avoid this problem. my pond is very natural in the end. it has sand bottom on top of a liner so I have biological action all over the pond.

The most fish I maintained with this type of system was 4 large Koi and 24 Comets+- I would have to clean out the filter media every 1 to 1.5 weeks.
Blow the top off??? That must be one high-powered pump!!!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you need a bigger filter if you are only using a 5 gallon bucket

Ask a Question