what are the best flat rocks to use around the border of a pond

Reaction score
i am going to be bordering my pond with large flat rocks and im just wondering what are the best rocks to put around the border that will not dissolve being near or touching water and will not have a drastic change on the ph {if thats possible}
thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think flagstone/field stone is a pretty stable rock and you can get a lot of different colors. I have some in my waterfalls, around the edges, in the stream. Water has been touching for over a year now with no ph issues.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have whatever rock was in my neighborhood and couldn't tell you what type it is. But it has had no effect on water quality for me and I have touching the water about 2-3 inches deep all around the pond on a 15' creek/waterfall and tons of small rocks in a 25' stream. Just clean them off with a pressure washer if possible before putting them in. Heck I even have some big coral rock from florida, and rocks from Tennessee, NC. I like rocks and always seem to pick up a few good size ones when we are on a road trip (she gets frustrated by my rock fetish).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some of those states called and the want there rocks back .I know what you mean both of my sons were rock nuts as small children .Always rocks in there pockets .My oldest son was in a wedding as the ring bearer when he was 3 and they were not watching him in the parking lot before they went in the church ,well guess what took his pillow with the rings on it did a great job until they wanted the rings and he said no mine and then rooted in his pocket and tried to give them rocks for the rings on the pillow .Well believe me he has never lived that down because they had the wedding video taped and there he is rocks for rings .36 years old now and thats what people remember most about him

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing sissy, how cute!

The one thing to not use is sandstone, it is flat, pretty, but if it touches the water for any length of time it dissolves.

Taherrmann
I love rocks, also pick them up where ever I go. I had to leave a lot of my rocks back in arizona, (did manage to box some of them lol)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
isn't it funny haow many people are attracted to something as simple as a rock .We must be haded back to the stone age lol get your rocks now because in the future you may need a rock or two

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Back in 1999 when my wife and I went on our honeymoon to hawaii there was this cool rock (15-20lbs) that I found on the beach, went back that night and took it up to the hotel room. I packed it in our luggage when we left and damn that bag was heavy. This was before all the airline requirments on weight limit on your luggage, I am probably the reason there is a weight limit.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I have one from our honeymoon too. Wheeee bit bigger but I was able to drive it back down from the smokie mountains. :lol:

Reaction score
hahah the guys carrying the bag into the plane must have said "what does this bag have!, rocks?!", and you could say yes lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I go for long 6 mile walks around our area and at any given time I can be seen carrying a rock that I find home w/me. People just smile and shake their heads and say there she goes again.
They offer rocks to me now and of course I take them. We have river rocks around here all over the place most of which have a roundish shape to them.
Sissy that's too funny about your son and his rocks :lol:

Reaction score
oh what will we do with you j.e hahaha i can imagine driving by the road and seeing a young lady holding a rock, i would be thinking what is wrong with that girl lol?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I carry home all kinds of things I find laying on the road and I stopped at a barn sale once and this guy was giving away a perfectly good vacuum cleaner so I carried it home for 3 miles.............oh man that was a lot of stop and go............took me forever to get home and the thing works great :lol:

Reaction score
sissy said:
isn't it funny haow many people are attracted to something as simple as a rock .We must be haded back to the stone age lol get your rocks now because in the future you may need a rock or two
as i live between the lake district mountains and the coast i have all sorts of rocks around me in abundance, my main hobby is downhill mountain biking, and ive recently started to decend all my local mountains on my bike (yes i carry it to the top just to come back down again) and have decided to collect a small rock from the peak of each mountain i decend to put around my pond !! we humans can have strange habits lol,
here is a pic of me from my last mountain epic just to show the lovely view from up there, this is from the summit of skiddaw the 4th highest mountain in uk,

Attachments

• DSC03695.jpg
    DSC03695.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 368

Ask a Question