What are these red spots?

Reaction score
What are these red spots, and what medicine can I give to treat them? It looks like a wound, but there doesn't appear to be any scales missing. No scales even came off in my hand. And the blood seems like its coming from underneath the scales. And I have heard of diseases/parasites that can produce a similar effect. I got him isolated in a fish tank in my house right now. Are there any medicines I should use on him?

Attachments

• redfish2.jpg
    redfish2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 522
Reaction score
Ok here is another baby fish from when my fish bred. The photo isn't great, but he has a red spot as well. But, the difference is, its like a big boil on his body. Its a big lump that is sticking out of him, and the scales in that area are gone. There mus be some kind of parasite or disease in my pond. I really need to figure out what it is before it kills all my fish. I am wondering if its the same thing that killed nearly all my goldfish. One day they were eating at the top of the water, the next day they are floating on the top with something like this on their bodies.

Attachments

• SAM_0006.jpg
    SAM_0006.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 386

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You really need to be contacting a Vet. a koi breeder that knows how to do microscope slides and can identify, possibly if you have a school in the are they may have a vet school, or similar. It's crucial you find someone in your area pretty fast. If it's on a koi and a goldfish it's spreading, You have already lost fish so what ever it is is contagious. Now you need to properly identify it to treat it. First thing you can do to help slow things down and buy you a little time increase the salt level in your pond, 1 cup per 100 gallons of rock salt or pond salt. DO NOT USE IODIZED TABLE SALT! you need to get it up to a level higher than .2%. This is the third post I have answered today about sores on fish. identifying them by looking at a fish in a pic is a best guess. If you treat with the wrong thing, you make problems worse, treating in a pond is more expensive and less effective but in your case, I'm thinking your probably going to have to treat the whole pond, and the individual fish like the white one with the larger sore may have to be given injections as that is in the process of forming ulcers. What is causing the sores is microscopic. Even the best can't tell you with 100% certainty what it is without properly identifying under a microscope. :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What are all your water test readings? It will be good to know and will be ask. I don't think it's directly water related but that's always a possibility. Looks to me fungal or bacterial.

here is a link to another thread that is having similar problems.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-fish-has-bobo-t8464.html
I'm going to link this one to that one too. each is a different case, each could be totally different but they could be the same thing. Only a microscope and a proper identity to them will help

Reaction score
Ammonia: 0

Also I set up the hospital tank in my house. I have a few of the fish I could catch in it. Some infected ones. I have dosed the water in the tank with broad spectrum... green stuff. That poisonous (to humans) green liquid. The fish are acting fine, they seem to have already adapted well to their new tank. I am hoping that with this treatment, the ulcers will go away and then I will know that the disease falls under one of the many types of infections that the medicine treats. Then I will just dose the whole pond and the problem will be solved.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hold off dosing the pond yet, Lets see how they react to the dosing. I'm guessing malachite green? You did good getting them out and treating them separate. water conditions look good, nitrates I don't understand a 0 reading unless you have been doing very large water changes but, for now anything in the low end is great. did you dose with salt, now that it's just the fish you can go as high as .3% I wouldn't go straight that high but gradually add some salt each day until you do. Be sure and keep you hospital tank covered, It's common for the fish to jump during these kinds of treatment.

Reaction score
Yeah its malachite green. On the bottle it says that it treats Ich, Chilodonella, Costia, Oodinium, Trichodina, and fungal infections. Its "Microbe-Lift BDST". I guess that's the brand name.

But yeah the fish are still doing fine in their hospital tank. I don't know how long it would take those ulcers to heal, though. I was thinking about pulling a couple out of the tank to check, but even if the bacteria (or whatever) is dead, those ulcers would not have healed up that fast. I have no idea how long it would take the fish to actually heal.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Look for improvements at about 72 hours, to heal is just like with us, depends on the severity. I didn't see any that had gone into ulcerations so you should see improvements by 4-5 days, If not either a second treatment as recommended by the maunfacturer, or do a large water change and filter with activated charcoal for 24 hours then start a new medication. It's best to try and remove most of the first medication out of the water before starting a new medication.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
microbelift makes a fantastic medicated food (broad spectrum antibiotic) about $25.00 if i recall... you can single one out or feed the whole pond with it... wouldnt hurt to do so.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good suggestion! I believe in medicated foods, easiest wat to get the medication in a fish if it's still eating!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
Benny that baby looks just like the comets I discovered in my pond. So far, I have cleaned out over 200.

Did you ever figure out where they came from?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No, I am still pulling them out and no idea where they came from. I drained the nursery tote where I keep the fry and forund that only 20% in there were Koi.
All the bigger ones are Comets. I suspect they ate most of the fry.
They are now beeing offered up as feeders.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Benny that baby looks just like the comets I discovered in my pond. So far, I have cleaned out over 200.

Yeah they keep reproducing non stop. I'm pretty sure its my goldfish breeding. I have various types of goldfish and even a koi/goldfish hybrid. So they come out looking like that I guess.

Ask a Question