What are these worms?

Reaction score
I just noticed these tiny dark colored worms. They're very thin and only 1/4" long at best. Noticed a few on my waterfall and a few in the top tray of my biofilter. Just wondering if they're normal, where they come from, if the fish will eat them, etc.

Reaction score
Maybe this pic may help, Check out thes little green things

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 607

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I dont know what they are , But if the koi can get them they will like them

Reaction score
Yes they definitely sqirm around. The only thing I have changed or added to the pond was a biofilter. Never saw these before that. The filter has been running for about 3 weeks, so I looked inside to see what was happening, that's when i noticed the critters.
I have surfed the net and haven't come to an exact match. But, I have read nothing about worms harming the pond or fish. In most cases it sounds like the fish would just eat the worms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get larva in my system at times. Mine are mayflies and midge larvae. If I could get them into the pond that would be great. The worm larvae doesn't bother me but I hate those little black snails.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DoDad said:
I get larva in my system at times. Mine are mayflies and midge larvae. If I could get them into the pond that would be great. The worm larvae doesn't bother me but I hate those little black snails.

i hear ya... i moved some hiacynths from my filter yesterday and saw 100+ snails ended up totally dismantling my filter to clean out minimal 500 of those things. not to mention the egg clusters i pulled from pond stones.

Reaction score
I have them as well, they are some sort of insect larve,and represent a good balance in your water bacteria and system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Know this is an old post, but opted to leverage the search function over just posting a new thread. I had a similar discovery to the original poster. After some follow up research I'm 99% sure what I have are the midge larvae. Specifically the Chironomid midge (Maoridiamesa). Thank you for the helpful reply!

Ask a Question