What are you pond plans for next year?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So now that we are about to enter winter (officially), I wonder what kind of plans everyone is starting to make for their ponds next year. This is usually the time of year where I begin to think of my ideas and ponder on them. I have a notebook where I have all my sketches of the drawings that I did before I started the pond and then all the other additions I have done.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My only plan is to finish the pond at the top of the stream. Other than that nothing except normal maintenance.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My pond is being drained, 90% of the waterlillies re-potted and sold or given away, and at least half of the other plants will be given away. Whatever water I can save will go back in with fresh water, and I plan to add a short stream and waterfall. I've told myself the same thing at this time of year for at least the last eight years, and two years ago I actually got as far as selling about 30 lillies! Wish me luck.
John

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Complete rebuild!! I'll make sure i take plenty of pics this time too! I was already toying with the idea of expanding, and then the nieghbors friendly retriever decided he really liked to jump in the pond and chew on plastic liner... so now i have to!

SO, draining... digging, new liner, refilling, and cycling all as quickly as possible so the fish don't have to stay in thier temp setup too long.

Reaction score
I plan on making a bigger bog and waterfall and remove the gravel from the bottom of the pond.
I also want to remove the hill I made on the side of the pond. Flatten out the outside a bit.
More plants inside and outside of the pond.
I'll probably buy more tadpoles and snails too.

Reaction score
Well, I got shorted of nice (warm) weather to play around outside before finishing my pond /tank project this fall. Therefore, I am spending the winter months analyzing my DIY designs and scrounging up materials or at least searching for less expensive sources for consumable items.

I am contemplating some improvements and alterations to my original personal designs. One of the main items that I want to change is the sediment tank (or the prefilter for the bio-converter). My design consisted of three 55 gallon barrels for the entire filter system and the first barrel was to be a sediment blocker or trap. I was going to use rocks and gravel here, but I am contemplating replacing the rocks and gravel with actual filter media of some sort. Something that is much lighter in weight and easier to manage should I desire to do maintenance of any sort on the filter system. The rocks and gravel are inexpensive, but they are also going to prove to be more difficult to work with. Simply because of the weight / mass and volume. I believe I can do better.

I have a keen understanding of what is necessary for my "bait fish" pond, but I believe that joining this forum and reading many of the posts and complete threads here regarding what everyone is doing with their Koi and goldfish ponds as well as their garden ponds has enlightened me with new and better ideas.

I am not sure if I can shave a great deal of monetary expense from the overall plumbing and equipment in the end design, but I certainly can envision revamped ideas that will save me on maintenance in regards to labor and consumable items issues. When warmer weather returns, I will be armed with a better arsenal of information than I started out with. From you all, I pick up little tidbits of information here and there. Not every single item alone helps me with my endeavor, but I am finding that if I put aspects of two or three suggestions to work together as a whole, some things start to click.

Come spring, I will apply all these (your) ideas coupled with my needs and I believe I can come up with a really functional, highly efficient, maintenance friendly and inexpensive design that I can reproduce for others like myself who want to raise or at least harbor bait fish in large volumes.

For anyone who is not familiar with my pond/tank project, I am raising bullhead (a relative of the catfish) to be used as fishing bait for flathead catfish. The rules aren't the same for me as they are for those who raise Koi, Goldfish or those who are setting up a garden pond. However, there are still many similarities.

Come next season, I intend to prove that my design, with all of your input for adjustments and modifications, will function and operate extremely wonderfully. So, I guess that my plan is to simply put this pond/tank into operation and enjoy it and make it work.

I must stop and take a moment to state one thing... I entered this forum with an open mind and looking for new ideas, but I also had a lot of stubborn notions just the same. It was the repeated conversations and the fact that I took part in some of the discussions that led me to learn many new ideas and facts as well as terminology regarding fish, water, ponds and plants.
I still have a very long way to go, but I definitely know a great amount more than I did when I first arrived.

If you are a "newby" to ponds, read and read and read, but don't stop there... Get involved in the discussions here and ask questions and even make comments. The discussion that will ensue will bring about much knowledge (not to mention fun).

That is a very much owed "Thank You" to all of you who have helped me thus far through all sorts of means and for simply being so honestly open, friendly and down to home!

Thank you, everyone, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll be spending a lot of time on this forum :)

My goal is to build my first-ever pond. The original plan was for a simple pond so I could have cleaner water for my box turtles. Well, now I'm discovering how wonderful it is to have a REAL, HONEST-TO-GOODNESS pond -- something we've always wanted! So I'll spend the winter months planning and deciding how to design it and choosing equipment. Hopefully, the build will go smoothly and by summer I'll be watching my boxies as they enjoy their new additions!

Gotta remember to take pics along the way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Humph, after two years of drought crippling seven clay ponds, will set up two 20x30' ponds and a circular 24' pond to salvage what interesting stuff survived blighted ponds, to lined ponds...

Clay ponds might get liners put in them, well output increased ten fold so I stand a better chance of coping with future droughts.

Rather looking forward to having seven reliable ponds where waterlilies can be grown out to a decent flowering size, even think about trying a few new ones, heheh, instead of having to evacuate and cram stuff when drought starts to bite...

Regards, andy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nothing much going to happen with my pond .Going to fix a filter problem and rebuild the bridge and enjoy it .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
hope to have a lot of mating frogs produce a ton of tadpoles and more froggies to sing for me

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of visions in my head for things to do like a bog, a stream,new fish w/ flowing fins and new plants but whether they actually make it out will be another story!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lots of visions in my head for things to do like a bog, a stream,new fish w/ flowing fins and new plants but whether they actually make it out will be another story!

Get digging! and post pictures so we can cheer you on

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Like I said they might just stay tucked away in my head but then ya never know I might really get inspired one bright sunny day!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We will send you inspiration to un-tuck your thoughts and get going jw! your fish would love you

Ask a Question