What are you?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Alright well I'm not sure what they are, four possbilities:
Tadpoles, mosquito fish, goldfish, or various types of koi.

They do not look like tadpoles as I can see little fins on the sides as well as their eyes and they just look like fish.

Have never had any of my fish spawns as I've only had them for a little while compared to most so I'm curious if anyone can identify them, the pictures aren't that great because they are very hard to take pictures of being so small and the reflection of sunlight on the pond makes focusing the image impossible lol.

30vd6c7.jpg

23v8fn.jpg

2r5cf9v.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
for sure they are fish fry, not tadpoles, I would put my best guess in and say they aren't mosquito fish babies, to long and the fines to head ratio looks more like baby goldfish or koi, OR hybrid between the two if you have both in the pond. I think I may also have some hybrids growing in my pond as well. some look like goldfish, som for sure look to be koi. I don't know if they are from seperate spawns are the same one but most of mine had that same look as babies. I'm just surprised they are all dark in color, even as day olds I could see some with dark color some yellow or white in color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
for sure they are fish fry, not tadpoles, I would put my best guess in and say they aren't mosquito fish babies, to long and the fines to head ratio looks more like baby goldfish or koi, OR hybrid between the two if you have both in the pond. I think I may also have some hybrids growing in my pond as well. some look like goldfish, som for sure look to be koi. I don't know if they are from seperate spawns are the same one but most of mine had that same look as babies. I'm just surprised they are all dark in color, even as day olds I could see some with dark color some yellow or white in color.

Was pretty sure they weren't tadpoles and I suspected them to be the koi or goldfish as well, it may just be the angle and lighting for why they all seem so far, took these when the sun was behind trees but still casting shadows and everything so it could be that, i'll try taking a pic next week of some and see if there is any difference :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not taddies for sure taddies got big fat heads so hope you have room for all those guys to stretch out and grow .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
not taddies for sure taddies got big fat heads so hope you have room for all those guys to stretch out and grow .
They'll actually be in the pond they're in by themselves in the next week or so until they grow big enough to safely move them to the new one; all the rest are being moved to my new pond that's 14'x7'x2.5-3' deep so they should have some decent room :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Follow up:

Moved about 25 of them inside to a small air oxygenated/filtered tank inside to keep them warm / safe from harm.
I am beginning to lean more towards them being mosquito fish than koi; they are all dark grey in color (as the mosquito fish are).

See new pics below.

2c0leh.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
that pic that is in the lower right hand corner really points more toward the mosquito fish. Notice the upward pointed mouth. Koi and goldfish would be pointed more downward. I think your right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
that pic that is in the lower right hand corner really points more toward the mosquito fish. Notice the upward pointed mouth. Koi and goldfish would be pointed more downward. I think your right.
Well no worries, as long as they are fish I'm happy to try to keep them alive and grow them until they are ready to be released back in my pond!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laticiagibson

Latest Threads