What "bog" plants are easy to pull (when it's time to thin them)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Root pruning does absolutely nothing positive for a plant. Instead of having energy to support top growth, the energy must be expended first to replace the roots that have been removed. In a 'bog' you want root mass as that is what is removing the Nitrate and Phosphorus from the water, not to mention many other pollutants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do you guys do to a bog in the spring exactly?
I rake the bog, removing dead plant matter, leaves etc. Then take a shovel, hands, pitchfork and yank out about 1/3 of the plants. no real rules.
The yellow flag, I work from the edges and cut out tubers until it is the size I want to keep it at, the small tubers at the edge are easier to remove. Sometimes using the pitch fork to remove/loosen them.
Rush, pitchfork out, take a serrated knife and cut in half. I do not trim roots of any plant.
Water willow I let it just grow, nice root mat. It is mainly in one end of the bog.

Off and on I remove plants by yanking them out. Toss down the hill behind the pond. I attempt to keep my rock path open to be able to walk in the bog.

I leave areas open so the birds can bath.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 just described my spring routine - although her bog is about 5 times the size of mine! I just look everything in the eye and decide who's scaring me the most and cut them down to size! Irises cannot be ignored - they will dominate. Rushes can also get overgrown, so you want to watch those. I have some dwarf cattails - they are pretty easy to control. Trying to think what else - I discovered some arum growing in my bog the other day. That was a surprise. Lots of watercress. Some water celery. Both easy to keep under control. You'll soon learn which ones need the most attention.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about: pro's / con's for these? Due to the small-ish nature of the bog, going to narrow it down to just 2 or 3 plant-types....

Arrowhead
Thalia
Horsetail rush
Pickerel rush
Lizards tail
Sweetflag

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sweetflag, 3ish feet tall spreads via tubers, smells good!.
Lizards tail 2ish feet tall spreads via tubers.

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I just share mynewbie experience
dwarf papyrus is really easy to pull out
, if the old papyrus become brown or u just want to thin them, cut in the foliage
then wait for several days, then pull out slowly the foliage that u cut while u hold the left plants , and u can pull that foliage to the roots without dig the bog gravel
it applied to dwarf papyrus only not to umbrella palm and normal papyrus

Ask a Question