What can I build for 500.00?

Reaction score
Hello again I am really trying to build another pond so I can keep most of my fish as I am attached :lol: My current pond is 1,000 gallons and way overstocked and has both koi/goldfish..my plan is to have koi in one pond and goldfish in another. So I talked to my husband and he wants to know what could I build for 500.00..hard question for me to really answer so I have come to all you for some input.. I want a lined pond and plan to build a stock tank for the waterfall, hubby says I do not need a skimmer but I really like my current skimmer as it houses my pump and keeps it pretty clear of debris but I am open to what you all think. Last I want to go as big as possible of course..so lets play what can Amber build for 500.00 :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
could your pump handle both ponds, that would save you some money

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That pump is rated for 3000 gph with your 1000 gallon pond you could add one that is around 1500 to 2000 gallons, imho.

Reaction score
If you already have the filtration, the rest is free. Go to your nearest outdoor advertising company (Clear Channel, CBS, etc.). Ask for a used billboard that they are discarding. You will want an 20 x 60 foot freeway bulletin, or 24 x 26 premium square. The opposite side of the advertisement is black, same as a pond liner. It is also UV coated. It is very, very, very thick vinyl. You will need help to bring it home as it will weigh about 100 pounds. My pond is in it's 5th year. No leaks yet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have heard of using those billboard liners and people have said they do a good job and are free or really cheap :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That stuff is tough, we got some to cover stuff in arizona, it lasted for years out in the full sun.

Reaction score
They are so thick that they do not need an underliner. But here's what I did: since they are free, I used another billboard for the underliner, just in case. Same price, double protection.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Run some piping with ball valves to regulate the flow between the two. Large pvc for less resistance.

Reaction score
Please help me better understand this--are you talking about running this pipe from my current pond to the new pond underground and sealing it into the liner? Sorry it is just not registering how I would do this and hubby is clueless also. So lets go from where my pump is currently,in my skimmer and tell me what your thinking. Thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well skimmer pump, humm. Sorry my brain was doing external pump hook ups. How close are the two ponds going to be?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't at this time think of a way that it work well, if you just draw water from the second pond into the first, it will not clean the bottom well. Have the first pond feed the water from the skimmer into the second pond, which goes back to the first pond, via a waterfall, stream, piping, a pond circle.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think you will be better off with a separate pump , and a new liner big enough to make a 1000 to 1500 gal pond. leave out the skimmer, use the stock tank filter/waterfall
The digging should be free , once you get it that far if your a little short , do what my wife does buy it and dont tell him what it cost

Ask a Question