What can/should I do with this indoor pond?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi there!

I've bought a house with an exposed natural rock in the living room and the previous owners had built a water feature around it (see attached pics). I'm thinking of using it for a fish pond, but I've got no experience with fish ponds/aquariums, etc. Could I have any advise/ideas with regards to appropriate types of fish, pond lighting, pumps, plants, etc? What would you do with it?

Measurements:
~3.5m long
~0.8m usable width (if filled with water)
~0.8m deep

THANKS!

Iphone April 2016 012.JPG Iphone April 2016 013.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get a puump with a built in prefilter as that may be all you need .Just take it out and rinse it off once in awhile and done .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
cool! I'd put top-view fish like goldfish in there. Only a few though as goldfish is dirty and with that size pond I think it'll be hard to clean it often. Maybe something like guppy will be good too.

Do they have plumbing to run water from the rock down as a water fall?

I dont think your pond is big enough for a fountain (water will spill out). So If it was me, i'd use a little plant container with lots of gravel, put the output hose from the pump through the bottom of the container, let the water go up and over the container and rundown the container back tot he pond. The container itself will sit somewhere within the pond. That will have little splash and add filter. I'd plant something that's shade tolerant and love water in that container.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
cool! I'd put top-view fish like goldfish in there. Only a few though as goldfish is dirty and with that size pond I think it'll be hard to clean it often. Maybe something like guppy will be good too.

Do they have plumbing to run water from the rock down as a water fall?

I dont think your pond is big enough for a fountain (water will spill out). So If it was me, i'd use a little plant container with lots of gravel, put the output hose from the pump through the bottom of the container, let the water go up and over the container and rundown the container back tot he pond. The container itself will sit somewhere within the pond. That will have little splash and add filter. I'd plant something that's shade tolerant and love water in that container.
Thanks! Sounds good!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would stick with small fish like guppies, tetras, etc. Goldfish will grow bigger, poo a lot.
I had some gf in a 55 gallon tank a real pita to keep clean even with a good filter.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
My imagination is running wild with what I'd do with that! I sure as heck wouldn't waste it as a goldfish pond though. I'm thinking some sort of interactive fish like an oscar. Get some nice vegatation going and maybe add some sort of falls. Of course if I had something like that it would also double as a water dish for 3 dogs and 3 cats!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thank you, guys! I bought a water pump, external filter, underwater lights, and plants. The waterfall between the rock has been created and I'm now waiting for the water to settle so I can get the fishes in, probably end of this week. The staff of the aquarium shop suggested gold fishes as they would not need a water heater and the indoor pond would use quite a lot electricity, apparently...

Attachments

• Iphone April 2016 001.JPG
    Iphone April 2016 001.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Iphone April 2016 003.JPG
    Iphone April 2016 003.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, will wait about 5 days and test the water. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you will find when you test the water with 'fish-less' cycle.. did you put ammonia in the water to start the cycle?

Where are you located? South Africa? What's the coldest temperature there? I'm asking because a lot of tropical doesn't really need a heater in a milder climate. I had guppies live and breeding like crazy at the 23 C tank for a few years. I even had them outside through summer and put them back in the beginning of winter when it's 13 C out.

If you want goldfish you might be able to have only a few without it being too much on your system. They are very dirty so you might have to clean your pond way more often then if you have 15 guppies ;) or other smaller fish.

I want to see your water fall.

Wait a few weeks before introducing the fish. But if you have to, put in 1 goldfish first (or a few guppies or other smaller fish), then add another after a few weeks. That will help start up the bacterial cycle for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So many things you can do with a water feature in your house. Very neat :)

Goldfish and Oscars unfortunately will both get way to big for a small container type pond or aquarium. Check out the different platy fish that are available. They are considered a good "beginner" fish and come in a wide variety and lot's of colors. Here is an example of a few: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+1103

Ask a Question