What causes small foam bubbles, it's not frogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I've posted before, my pond is new and not complete. But I've had water in it for a couple of weeks. There is a small amount of tiny bubbles like foam. I've run a few tests, and all seems fine, ph a little high 8.0. However I caught my little boy (6) washing his hands in the pond with soap! Now I'm wondering how often has he been doing that? Lol. I put a few plants in today. But still not sure about fish. I don't want to rush, I have a aquarium, and know they have to cycle. But anyone know if this is some kind of pond foam, or soap bubbles? It doesn't go away. I've done 2 -10% water changes too. Thanks, ouida

Attachments

• 20170421_185706.jpg
    20170421_185706.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 272

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get it and some say it is the breakdown of organic matter in the bottom of the pond (which there is none in the bottom of my pond ) some say it is from the fish Spawning (could be ) and some say it is just extra air from the aerator .I have never had a problem with it so I just test the water and ignore it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you were to test for DOC (Dissolved Organic Compounds) likely you would detect an elevated level. Can come from many things, but is essentially harmless. The soap is a different matter. It can cause problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I get it and some say it is the breakdown of organic matter in the bottom of the pond (which there is none in the bottom of my pond ) some say it is from the fish Spawning (could be ) and some say it is just extra air from the aerator .I have never had a problem with it so I just test the water and ignore it
Ok thank you. I really didn't know. I've only heard of frogs. Again thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The dissolved proteins in the water will cause it to foam. Proteins come from fish slime coat, uneaten food, albumin from eggs and algae and bacteria in the water; mix in a little oxygen and it foams up just like meringue from egg whites.

What's in your photo is almost nothing and your water is very clear, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure your child has learned not to wash his hands in the pond, so the little bit of soap should bio-degrade naturally. If you mentioned your fish were gasping air, then I would suspect too much soap was suffocating them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The dissolved proteins in the water will cause it to foam. Proteins come from fish slime coat, uneaten food, albumin from eggs and algae and bacteria in the water; mix in a little oxygen and it foams up just like meringue from egg whites.

What's in your photo is almost nothing and your water is very clear, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure your child has learned not to wash his hands in the pond, so the little bit of soap should bio-degrade naturally. If you mentioned your fish were gasping air, then I would suspect too much soap was suffocating them.
Yes, he has promised not to put soap in the pond again. I put in an extra filter with lava rocks, and it's all gone. I know everyone here hates them, but that's what I remember using long ago. We also put in our first fish. Will see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dad used lava rock and I use it and even pondhunter and ponddiigger have gone back to it on some pond builds .I have a basket with quilt batting in it .Mine just comes from aerator .I have always over aerated my pond and even have airstones in each filter
101_0357.JPG
101_0363.JPG
101_0358.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My dad used lava rock and I use it and even pondhunter and ponddiigger have gone back to it on some pond builds .I have a basket with quilt batting in it .Mine just comes from aerator .I have always over aerated my pond and even have airstones in each filter View attachment 99073 View attachment 99074 View attachment 99075
Yep years and years ago, I had turtles and used lava rocks. I guess it was a pond of sorts, but really just for injured turtles. For some reason hubby and I love turtles. Anyway I just remember never having dirty water. It's the same setup I used with my first real pond, but that pond didn't last long enough to say if lava rocks worked. Oh and I've read the quilt batting really helps with algea too.

Ask a Question