What color do you think this guy will be?

Reaction score
I got a new young koi yesterday (maybe about a year old based on his size comparison to my other youngster) and can't tell what color he/she is going to wind up. I don't really care, he's a neat little fish whatever he grows up to look like, but am just curious as I've never seen one his coloring in the local stores around here. He's somewhere between orange and yellow at the moment, more like a tangerine shade. I'll try to post photos for the first time and hope it works. If so, the second photo shows him next to my yellow koi and the third photo shows him next to orange goldies for contrast. Thanks for any input! Beth

Attachments

• 003 (3).jpg
    003 (3).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 007 (3).jpg
    007 (3).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 009 (3).jpg
    009 (3).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 301

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well whatever color it turns out it is sure pretty right now.

Reaction score
Thanks Addy! I think he's adorable and I'm rather enamored of the little guy who I've named David (here's hoping it's a boy, lol). He was part of David Blaine's act in NY back in March where he performed an escape from a locked tank full of fish. My friend's boyfriend was part of the production crew and the fish wrangler left some fish behind after they packed out so he found homes for several goldfish, cichlids and this little guy. He's been sucked up by a shop vac (to get him out of the bottom of the show tank), spent days in a 5 gallon bucket, then was mistakenly living with cichlids and got beat to shreds. But he's a survivor and after spending a few months indoors in a tank until my pond warmed up and then trying to get our schedules together, he seems very happy to be out in the pond with lots of room and buddies to live with. I'm looking forward to watching him grow up and seeing how he turns out. :lol:
Beth

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow what a story of will to live and survival! :regular_waving_emot Can't imagine being sucked up by a shop vac! :fingersx::yikesu: So glad you took him in!

Reaction score
What a way to start out your life. I am sure it is very happy to be in your pond. It is a pretty fish but as to color change your guess is as good as mine. I have had red fish turn completely white and white fish get black spots. But like Addy said it is very pretty now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a survivor he is and pretty little guy too. Glad he found a good home and hope he is trauma free from now on
fish.gif

Reaction score
He will be an Orengi, orange, with probably white fins. Looks like he may have a slight netting pattern setting up on his scales. It could give it a subtle pine cone effect to the scales. No matter what he will turn out nice. That's the fun part of Koi. You can watch them grow and their colors change for years to come. Have fun and take a picture every couple of months and see the changes you miss from seeing it every day.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had one male that was a pretty orange , real close to the same tone as yours......sold him at 14" and didnt change a bit in 3 years.except in size! i have a german (not doitsu) bronze colored one also..got her at 3" and now at 15" or so shes pretty much identical to the day i got her...(all my fry in the tub came from her).so by my experiences with the "orange / bronze" colored family of koi, they are of pretty stable coloration. I havent kept any off spring of her previous spawn long enough to say what happened to their coloration.(last year was her first go at it)

Ask a Question