What corrugated pond tubing would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hello :)

I am in the process of replacing my 1.25 inch inside diameter corrugated pump tubing for our outside pond.

I live in northern Virginia so experience quite hot summers and cold winters.

I have read reviews of various hoses / tubing online but there doesn't seem to be a consistently highly rated one to go for. (I want a corrugated kink free hose like I have now.)

Do you have any recommendations for a good make please that you could give me?

Nixie

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm using basic sump pump hosing, so far so good.
The stuff I bought specifically in the pond section didn't last much longer than a year, even though it was hardly touched and brought indoors over winter.

Reaction score
Thanks both for your replies, I'll check out what you've mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know you said corrugated but I had great luck with the

Flexible PVC Pond Tubing. This PVC ultra-flex hose is made for Schedule 40 fittings. I live in RI so close to you and similar weather. Just to give you another idea. Mine is buried and above ground. Some is also in the pond.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I know you said corrugated but I had great luck with the

Flexible PVC Pond Tubing. This PVC ultra-flex hose is made for Schedule 40 fittings. I live in RI so close to you and similar weather. Just to give you another idea. Mine is buried and above ground. Some is also in the pond.

Go with this. It's what I use. Mine is like his, some buried, some above ground. I leave my pumps in year round far enough below the water line that they won't freeze and turned off in winter. Water drains back to the water level in the pipes but can expand as it freezes. So far no busted tubing, just get the cement made for flex pvc. Best part is you can connect it to any schedule 40 fittings.

Reaction score
What I dont understand is why is it that we shouldnt use PVC pond liners because and of the liner exposed to the Sun, not covered by water, will quickly degrade, but it is ok to us PVC pipe? Because the pipe is much thicker?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used the flexible PVC pond tubing as well - it's extremely durable but still relatively easy to work with.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
EPDM & HPDE Comparisons
Exposed Conditions - Pond Lining Systems
Ratings: E = Excellent, G = Good, F = Fair, P = Poor, NR = Not Recommended

What I dont understand is why is it that we shouldnt use PVC pond liners because and of the liner exposed to the Sun, not covered by water, will quickly degrade, but it is ok to us PVC pipe? Because the pipe is much thicker?

The pvc pipe is way thicker than pvc liner.

Here is a comparison from epdm to hdpe = pvc liner (does not show real pretty)

Design Consideration
Material

EPDM 1.14 mm
HDPE 1.5 mm

Resistance to Sunlight (Exposed Conditions)
E
E

Resistance to Stress Cracking
E
F

Resistance to Cracking (all causes considered)
E
F

Resistance to Heat (Hot, Arid Climates)
G
G

Resistance to Thermal Expansion/Contraction
E
P

Resistance to Organic Wastewater/Soil Environment
E
E

Ease of Panel Installation
G
G

Ease of Field Seaming (Owner Friendly)
G
P

Ease of Attachment to Appurtenances
G
G

Ease of Field Repair Procedures
E
P

Low Temperature Installations
E
F

Low Temperature Brittleness (Seam Area)
E
F

Conformance to Substrates
E
P

Resistance to Puncture
G
F

General Lay Flat Characteristics
E
P

Resistance to Installation Damage (Field Handling)
G
F

Resistance to Installation Wrinkles
E
P

Resistance to Installation Tightness
G
F

Resistance to Soil Slippage (surface Friction)
E
P

Adhesive Bonding to Concrete Structures
E
NR

Overall Long Term Durability
E
E

Average Costs per mm thickness/sq/m
G
E

Overall Comparative Rating
G to E
F to G

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I currently use a corrugated tubing that I get from Home Depot & Lowes in the "pond" section of Garden Center. It has been a real pain finding fittings and/or clamps that work with it (mine is 1 1/2" diameter), and that hold well. And after a year and a half it starts to crack and split.

I am planning to convert to flex-PVC. A little pricy, but as stated in another post, you can use standard PVC fittings.

Reaction score
I'll agree on the corrugated PVC pond hose being a dissapointment, I regret not spending more money on the flexible PVC pipe that uses the regular PVC pipe fittings and glue. The 2" corrugated pond hose is a little better, but the 3" corrugated stuff I bought sucks. It is larger than the 3" barb fittings, so it's real loose and leaks at the joint, even after hunting-down the "double-wire hose clamps" that you are supposed to use with it. Those aren't exactly easy to find either, unless you want to pay $10 per clamp.

The problem I had is 50 feet of the 3" flexible PVC pipe had to be shipped by truck, it's too heavy for UPS or Fedex, so I went with the much lighter corrugated hose.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bringing back an old thread. Is flexible PVC pond tubing still the way to go for longer-lasting tubing? What size of diameter is everyone using? I'm working on my pond again and want to do everything right this time around.

Hey

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Hey Hey, flexible PVC tubing yes, but not the corrugated flexible pond tubing. I guess diameter depends on application.
Howdy doody!

I have corrugated now, and crap, it bites. Any links to some great suggestions?

Ask a Question