What do babies of Koi and Comets look like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They guy I just got my Koi from said that since I already have comets in the pond the koi will breed with the comets and all the babies will be koi/comets... Any idea what Koi/Comet babies look like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I found some pics googling koi comet hybrid. They look different from both. Will Koi breed and have pure Koi if they also live with comets.

I am so excited! I am a new Koi mommy, so much to learn :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW is quite correct, in most cases they will eat the eggs. Supposedly if that should happen they are suppose to be infertile but they may or may not be true. If there is a chance that they do hybrinize you need to let anyone know that may get one that it's a hybrid so they can keep it from their putre strain lines. this is really bad practice as goldfish and Koi are actually quite different fish and should not be allowed to hybrinize at all.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as i understand it...koi and goldies can and do interbreed but the offspring are mules, theyre sterile...so they cant reproduce. this could be a good thing if you didnt want spawns and an increased pond population. start with 10 and never have an increase...might be a good thing for a small pond.... i may have had some from spawns in the past. and told customers so.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww sterile fish! That could be nice as I sit here and watch my fish chase agian

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Aww sterile fish! That could be nice as I sit here and watch my fish chase agian

I hear ya Addy. Last year all I had were comets and did not feed them... and had about 25 babies make to this year. This year I added Koi and started feeding. I think I will be looking for homes for comets by the end of the summer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feed mine off and on, I have plenty of room for more fish. My guess is a lot less will make it since I have more than 4 fish to munch on them, like I had at the beginning of last summer.

Ask a Question