What do I cover the intake on the pump with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm trying to build a pond with a bog. The pump though is going in the main pond, if I understand right. But I think it is so powerful, it will suck in a bunch of the fish, especially my really slow-moving ones, and the fry. So what can I put around the pump so that it doesn't slow the flow rate, but doesn't suck in the fish and fry?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got a mesh pump bag and it works quite well. If you go that route, and/or decide to go DIY, be sure the mesh is stiff. Soft (or too fine) mesh will get sucked against the intake, defeating the purpose of the bag. It has a drawstring closure. Something like this one from AMAZON...

0C9711F3-9FCE-44F9-A50E-4D71ECBE4185.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think that will work for you hop frog as i believe your pond was going to be 50 x30 or there about. I would look at an aquablock you can build the aquablock around the pump and cut a hole for the hose/ pipe to pass through/ the advantage to an aquablock is it's not fine baby fish could get sucked in but that's not a bad thing . population control. but it is a large area so if some plant matter gets drawn to the block it has many other areas /surface area where it will just draw from the next area that's not blocked . and true aquatic plants can grow on it or you can bury it under larger stones. Or you could get a pump vault

Reaction score
Country
United States
So maybe a hole in the bottom of the with 3 x 3 grid of them, and put the pump in the middle? Are any of the aqua blocks designed to have an opening in the middle for the pump to sit inside?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So maybe a hole with 3 x 3 grid of them, and put the pump in the middle? Are any of the aqua blocks designed to have an opening in the middle for the pump to sit inside?
There is actually i have seen one in a video but not online stores But your getting the idea the bigger the screen 3x3 the less chance of clogging and gives you a chance to clean before it clogs

Ask a Question