What do I do now?

Reaction score
i've had a small pond for a long time and a 4k pond for 2 years. This is the first time I've witnessed spawning. What a sight! Its crazy. What do I do now? The females are pretty beat up. Should I try to collect the eggs? Where do I put them? I'd love to try to get a few fish just to see what they would look like? Thanks for all the info you give... I love reading this site!
Deb S

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to try natural rate of survival put some pots, matting something for the fry to hide in, so they can survive the hungry adults.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Deb S said:
i've had a small pond for a long time and a 4k pond for 2 years. This is the first time I've witnessed spawning. What a sight! Its crazy. What do I do now? The females are pretty beat up. Should I try to collect the eggs? Where do I put them? I'd love to try to get a few fish just to see what they would look like? Thanks for all the info you give... I love reading this site!
Deb S

You ask what to do but you didn't say what your objective is.
If you want a large success rate, immediatley remove the eggs and isolate them in a seperate pond or tank. Treat the water with methylene blue to avoid fungus which kills the eggs and you will have thousands of fry.

Or leave them alone and if you are lucky, there will be a few that survive being eaten.

Reaction score
Thanks for replies! I am going to let nature take its course. I had some of the water hyacinth that had eggs attached and put them in floating plant baskets. Would love to just see what happens. it was amazing to watch yesterday. today I am going to do a little water change and clean filter pads to try to clear the water a little.
its funny because I thought my big mamma had dropsy because she was so round and was lying around the last week. Today she is back to her old self (minus a few scales!)
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laticiagibson

Latest Threads