What do I do with plants in winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I want to add aquatic plants to my pond but what do I do in winter? do I remove them and put them inside or.. do I let them sit there and cover them with those tent net things? its gets up to -15c here. I wont have fish though cause i am completely new to the pond world and I wanna start slow. Thanks. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only plant those that can handle our temperatures. Bring nothing inside.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hardy water lilies, Hornwort, Parrots feather, Sedges in pots, Anacharis, Creeping Primrose, Creeping Jenny for the sides that will creep into the waters edge and many more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Samuel Petrov I live in North Texas and my lilies did well in the main part of my pond since I lowered them, but the plants in my raised "bog" mostly died off so I will probably pull them and keep them in a rubbermaid tote this next winter and see if that helps them make it through.

Most ponders just make sure that they lower their plants in the pond if they're going to leave them for the winter. That way the bulbs or rhizomes are below the frost line and will make it through any freezes they may have. We have other members from Canada that may be more familiar with the type of weather you would expect to get in your area.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just move the lilies, get them down to around 18 inches below water surface. Every other plant stays where it is and they all come back. Even the bog, everything freezes solid and in the spring regrows.

Ask a Question