What do I do with unwanted pond fish?

Reaction score
I bought a house that has a smallish pond in 2011 and have been maintaining the pond since. The pond has 3 or so dozen goldfish, and a couple of Koi. I really don't have any interest in keeping the pond going, the electric bills for the pump are pretty steep, and aside from maintaining the filter, I don't do anything with the pond anymore. Anyway the time has come to get rid of the pond, but I am at a loss for what to do with the fish. The local Craig's list has ads for people trying to get rid of their fish seemingly without success, and the only local pet store is very small, and does not want them. Can anyone give me an idea what to do with these fish? Thanks

I am in the East Haddam Ct area, if anyone local would like them btw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought a house that has a smallish pond in 2011 and have been maintaining the pond since. The pond has 3 or so dozen goldfish, and a couple of Koi. I really don't have any interest in keeping the pond going, the electric bills for the pump are pretty steep, and aside from maintaining the filter, I don't do anything with the pond anymore. Anyway the time has come to get rid of the pond, but I am at a loss for what to do with the fish. The local Craig's list has ads for people trying to get rid of their fish seemingly without success, and the only local pet store is very small, and does not want them. Can anyone give me an idea what to do with these fish? Thanks

How large are your Koi? In NJ they seem to go quick. Consider advertising in NNJ CL

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might contact the Pioneer Valley Water Garden and KOI Club in Connecticut. Click on 'ask the club' link or contact the president. I am sure they will help you. Good luck. And welcome to the forum. Let us know if you change your mind and later decide to keep your pond. There are some really talented hobbyists on this site who can give you ideas for alternative uses and energy efficiency.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I am in ct not far from you at all any chance you can get a picture or a liitle more description of the fish and koi ?

Ask a Question