what do i need for a new pond

Reaction score
hello my name is wayne i have a pond 6x4ft and have had for 2 years it is a standard pond with a pump and a filter box it is doing the job at the moment but as my koi are growing large now i would like to build them a bigger pond i was thinking about 15x6ft and 6ft deep 3ft bellow ground and 3ft above but i herd this needs to be back filled does any one know how to do this, also i have been reading other peoples articles on ponds and they mention - venturi, bottomdrain, scimmers, EXC can any one please help me in listing the things i should be looking at for my new pond as i am a novice in this area i would like some info on the accessories that i will need so i can read up on and how they work and for what use
thank you for reading my article and would appreciate any information any one can give me :goldfish: :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif

With koi filtration, bottom drains (most have some don't) water movement and size.

You are planning the size.
Check the diy section for some good how to build filters.
I use a pool skimmer for my goldie pond. Skimmers, some like some don't. They do help move the water and get rid of floating debris.
The venturi adds air, some use some don't a good air pump will help with that.

Below ground will it be block also?

There are some threads on building above ground ponds, if you use block, concrete, rebar I am not sure you would need to back fill.

Start a construction thread on your build, you will get lots of help, suggestions.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! Your on the right track as for size, however I would go 4' below and two above. 36" inches high is going to make it harder to maintain, harder to view for children, so therefore they will want to sit on the side making it more of a hazard and harder to clean, and the pressure from the water trying to get out is going to be great, by reducing the precentage above you greatly reduce this stress. water movement, and lots of filtration are key, skimmers, venturi injection, Bottom drains, are all great additional things to add but not 100% necessary, ( But they all have purpose and each does have it's benefits that help keep the pond clean and balanced) Read as much as possible, My advice is you want to know what you want, and what your plan is for the build long before you start.
Check out the DYI section for filter ideas for sure, you can build a great filter for a fraction of the cost of buying one that will do two or three times the filtering, this will save you on money for things that money need to be spent on like a GOOD pump, proper bottom drain, skimmer, and return lines. wall support, liner etc.

Reaction score
thank you for your info i am currently trying to purchase all the accessories first pump - filtration - scimmer EXETRA so i have everything before i build my pond :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome I don't have a bottom and never thought to put one in because of reading about them made me think no .You have to make sure they are sealed right and can suck up baby fish .Since the bottom has no rocks it is easy to just take a pool net to get the gunk from the bottom

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
welcome I don't have a bottom and never thought to put one in because of reading about them made me think no .You have to make sure they are sealed right and can suck up baby fish .Since the bottom has no rocks it is easy to just take a pool net to get the gunk from the bottom
No bottom? How do you sit down??????? :LOL: John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No bottom? How do you sit down??????? :LOL: John
roflaughing...................she would have issues sitting! she would need one of those enhancement surgeries!

Ask a Question