What do I need for a quarantine tank?

Reaction score
I want to build a quarantine tank for new fish, but I am not sure of the best way. I think I want to use a large plastic container (something with high sides to deter the predators). I already have an aerator. What kind of filter do I need? If they are only going to be a few fish in it for 3 weeks, maybe I do not even need a filter. How do I know if I even need a filter? Do I need anything else?

Reaction score
I would add a filter, some type of filtration. A lot can happen in 3 weeks.

If I were doing a quarantine tank I'd use an animal watering tank. I went with a rubbermaid stock tank, 150 gallons for my filter systems. They have a plug in the bottom, which can be used for the filter and drain. Should be able to find one at some type of a farm supply store.

http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page11/index2.html

Reaction score
You could easily use a 5 gallon bucket and add some filter media, gravity fed, and some plumbing out of the bottom of the bucket back into the pond.

You could also put a bucket in the pond with the pump, then filter media over the top. Then just have the water pump back into the tank.

Since you will not be running this 365 days a year, a simple filter would be best.

I would have this close to the pond, as you will want to use pond water in the quarentine tank. After wards I would discard the water.

These are just my opinions. :icon_smile:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You don't want the quarantine tank near the pond. Water seeks it's own level and diseases will be carried into the pond.

A bucket is fine, I use them as well with an air bubbler. I also make sure I have at the very least a .1% saline content or more.

Reaction score
I just tried to find a filter on the web and there are A LOT to chose from. What type should I get. Ideally, I just need a small (100 gal), low maintanence filter for a temp quar tank.

Reaction score
I am leaning towards getting a 100 gal stock tank. So I would need a small filter for it.
Another question, if I am only going to purchase a few (1 doz maximum) small fish (3"), could I get away with skipping the filter and just doing water changes? I'll do regular testing and salt the water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't reccommend that method. Go buy a Fluval 405 or equivalent and that will provide both the circulation, filtration and bio filter. Then you will only need to do water changes every couple weeks and the filter is easy to clean.

When you clean the filter (10 minutes tops), don't clean the bio balls, just the foam and hose off the activated carbon bags.

Ask a Question