what do i need to do to my pond in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am new to having a pond and I would like to know if anyone can tell me what I have to do at winter please thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :) What you do with your pond, depends largely on your climate, your pond design and if you have fish. Can you give us a little more information?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi welcome , what type of fish do u have and how deep is ur pond , whats the lowest temp .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is about 4 ft long 3ft wide and 2ft deep the temp is 6 I have ghost koi thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome, there are a few UK members here. Generally, we don't need to do much to our ponds. The climate is nowhere as severe as that experienced in some pars of the States and Canada.

I have goldfish, and I stop feeding once the temp drops below 10. You'll find the fish become less active as the temp drops. The main job at this time of year is to remove all dead vegetation, fallen leaves, etc.

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Chris I do that everyday my net dose not scene to stop them going in lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Welcome...

Pond is too small for the koi. They grow to be 2' to 3'.

Until you make it deeper, I suggest putting a de-icer or tank heater. If you get a tank heater then make sure you get one that can stop working when the temp gets 4 or higher, or you can buy a small circuit check that shuts off electricity when temp gets to 4. All this is on amazon and is not expensive.

If you got leaves fall, net cover your pond before they all fall in. The leaves will consume oxygen and that's not good if the surface freezes in a tight area.

Putting an aerator is advisable to keep gas exchange going cause if the top freezes and the koi are in a tight area under the ice they will suffocate. Your big fish will die first...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting a bigger pond in next year my koi are only 3 to 4 inch long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Faebinder is this it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-17-17-43-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-17-17-43-22.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm putting a 3000 gallon pond in next year and is this what I need to get

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Faebinder is this it

I've never seen this brand... Must be a UK brand.

I would make sure you attach this to a tank heater, otherwise if it is a deicer like you have in the picture then you wont need this thermo cube. The key is to keep a gas exchange opening in the ice to let all the ammonia out and the oxygen in.

I used this last year with the thermo cube and plan to use this this year.

Ask a Question