what do i need to do to my pond in winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm guessing that what djm90 posted is not a heater at all. Laguna also makes something that looks like his post. It's just a float with a venturi valve under it so it's just an aerator with something to keep it floating. But if his lowest temperature is 6 C, there's no need to worry about ice at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think you need advice from other Britons about that one. Sounds like no. I think the real reason to turn that stuff off is that people in the northern USA can build up ice dams and such that will actually drain a pond by causing water to escape the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome...

Pond is too small for the koi. They grow to be 2' to 3'.

Until you make it deeper, I suggest putting a de-icer or tank heater. If you get a tank heater then make sure you get one that can stop working when the temp gets 4 or higher, or you can buy a small circuit check that shuts off electricity when temp gets to 4. All this is on amazon and is not expensive.

If you got leaves fall, net cover your pond before they all fall in. The leaves will consume oxygen and that's not good if the surface freezes in a tight area.

Putting an aerator is advisable to keep gas exchange going cause if the top freezes and the koi are in a tight area under the ice they will suffocate. Your big fish will die first...
why do you think he needs heater ? he said 6C ,unless its F , nothing will happen to koi in this temp

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Koi will easily survive 6C if its not fahrenheit . The only thing you need to do is clean the bottom if there is any excessive mud or leaves , feed them weekly once wheat based food if they eat , not high protein .
and provide them blankets jk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK our winters are nowhere as severe as those experienced by our friends in the States and Canada.
I live in Worcestershire and I've never used a heater in 20 years+ of pond-keeping.
I can only remember my pond freezing over once last year, and that was gone by lunch-time. I leave pumps and filters running all winter.
Keeping the pond clear of decaying leaf matter is the main task.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
why do you think he needs heater ? he said 6C ,unless its F , nothing will happen to koi in this temp

I'm having a hard time believing it doesn't snow in the U.K. Which means it gets to 0 degrees.

If it really never goes below 6 then forget the deicer and heater.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a hard time believing it doesn't snow in the U.K. Which means it gets to 0 degrees.

Faebender, last winter we woke up to see snow on one day, and then the sun came out and it was gone by lunch-time. Back in 2010 we had a hard winter, with snow and sub-zero C temperatures, but it was all over in a couple of weeks.
The UK climate is greatly influenced by the North Atlantic Gulf Stream which brings comparatively warm water up from the Gulf of Mexico, and keeps the UK climate warmer than further inland in Europe at similar latitudes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I read this several times and still don't get it - 0 degrees equals snow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
0 degrees equals snow?

We use centigrade in the UK rather than fahrenheit. It's metric - 0 deg C is the point at which water freezes (at sea level) and 100 deg C is the point at which water boils. So it needs to be nearly 0 deg C for snow (or thereabouts - sometimes we get snow when it's higher, 2-3 deg C maybe).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So it needs to be nearly 0 deg C for snow (or thereabouts - sometimes we get snow when it's higher, 2-3 deg C maybe).

Right. I got the C vs F difference, but we definitely get snow here (midwestern US) when it's above freezing (32 F). That was the part that confused me!

Ask a Question