What do you all do with your baby koi fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i told you all we have a ton of baby koi, well the sun is out and the ice has melted. here is a couple pictures of some of the baby koi trying to get some sun.
Wow, those suckers were busy last year!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could build a larger trap. I built a box from pvc pipe and covered all sides but one with mesh. Lower it into pond with food in it and then upright it- instant holding tank! I have a 3x3 and a 5x5 for my large pond.I was able to capture all my koi last year that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was lucky last year, to rheum mine with a neighbor who had his pond wiped out by a blue heron. He told me at the end of the summer that he doesn't need anymore, so really hoping, I don't have many this year.

I can't imagine re-homing thousands of small koi....what can one do? If all options are exercised, do folks consider humane euthanasia? Just curious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I was lucky last year, to rheum mine with a neighbor who had his pond wiped out by a blue heron. He told me at the end of the summer that he doesn't need anymore, so really hoping, I don't have many this year.

I can't imagine re-homing thousands of small koi....what can one do? If all options are exercised, do folks consider humane euthanasia? Just curious.

I suggest stop feeding the fish.
That can be a tough decision to make.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That makes sense, survival of the fittest ...but as you say, a tough decision. So far, I've been fortunate to find homes for mine....hoping my koi are hungry, till after spawning this year!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest stop feeding the fish.
That can be a tough decision to make.

If that's the best decision that can be made then I suggest we should all give up pond and koi keeping as its simply to cruel to not feed.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
When mine start chasing I quit feeding, the fish have a lot of stuff to feed on in the pond. They inhale the eggs, keeps the fry load down.
That method I can agree with.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see ads on the local craigslist for pond fish. If you are comfortable doing that maybe you can find homes that way.
They are miserable hard to catch, I prefer to just keep the fish load down. So far it is working. I do not put in spawning mops or anything to help with spawning / egg survival.

Reaction score
we will be pumping our pond out later this month. netting all the babies is a pain in the butt. I guess we will see how many we can sell. very good money if we sell a lot of them.
we have a very low fish load, 11 fish in 20,000 gallons of water. I think that is part of our problem. not enough fish to eat the eggs.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use Craigslist and local newspapers to sell mine but I usually only have a couple dozen. This year I have almost 100 I year old fry to rehome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
When mine start chasing I quit feeding, the fish have a lot of stuff to feed on in the pond. They inhale the eggs, keeps the fry load down.
That's a good idea. I'll try that this year when they start doing their Flipper imitations. :) They put on quite a show for our barbecue on Memorial Day last year...the big orange one went airborne a couple times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish I was closer to you guys. I would buy some from you. Can you ship koi?

Ask a Question