What do you do to overcome "winter" boredom?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's not too bad for me, living in Louisiana...... My water is still warm enough to feed, and except for the darn leaves, there's not too much going on, pond-wise. It won't get really cold here until Jan/Feb, but I don't have to "put my pond to sleep" as our cold comes in snaps, there won't be ice or snow to worry about, and I keep the filters going. But there are no plants to look at or tend; fish are sluggish; too miserable outside to begin any spring-time construction projects [we badly need to get the bog dug!].

So, since I would guess at least 50% of you guys are much worse off than I am......WHAT do you do during this "down time?" How do you deal with the winter-time boredom????

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was hoping to get some babies goldfish in my tank to look at but no luck... and also my crayfish had eggs then the eggs were all gone after 5 days... not sure if it got eaten or what... so all my plan for babies are not going as planned so I dont know what i'm going to do this winter...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was hoping to get some babies goldfish in my tank to look at but no luck... and also my crayfish had eggs then the eggs were all gone after 5 days... not sure if it got eaten or what... so all my plan for babies are not going as planned so I dont know what i'm going to do this winter...
For the past 2 winters, I've also had a couple of babies that I kept inside. Didn't have any spawning that I'm aware of this year, so no babies, and I've let my indoor tank run without anything in it -- except algae and a few snails. Maybe a trip to the pet store......after I clean up the tank!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WHAT do you do during this "down time?" How do you deal with the winter-time boredom????

1. Cry myself to sleep, and hope that I when I wake up, it's March, or even April.

2. Repeat

Other than that, I make sure to continue my prairie research so I can make my native garden the best it can be. I also spend hours looking through the photos and videos I've taken throughout the year so I can look back at the year and daydream about next year. Oh, and I eat a lot during the winter months due to the extreme boredom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Other hobbies and reading and finding new things to build .Since I have a basement I do some cement projects like stepping stones and go on sights on the puter to find things to build .I also clean out the whole house so when spring gets here the clutter is gone

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like to go fly fishing for winter steelhead - anadromous (ocean migrating) rainbow trout. On the local Skykomish River they often exceed 10 lbs. Many of these fish are endangered wild fish, and all are caught on barbless hooks and released to continue their journey upstream. I can't wait for the peace and joy it brings me! Here's a hen being released, a view of the wild (undammed) Skykomish and some steelhead fly patterns I've tied:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie we just carry on as normal but with the koi under the covers , we still do water changes we still drain the exccess water off the pond , we still test water peramaters, we still feed till 10c, basically just slow everything down the colder we get , the slower they get , we just cant see them thats all unless we lift the covers .
Then I read , read some more and visit our friends on GPF whilst dreaming of spring and the covers coming off .

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hibernate! ;) Hey, it works for the bears! AND... you wake up 50 pounds lighter! :D
But seriously, I spend much more time in my basement shop, building, repairing, and maintaining my two aquariums, which tend to be ignored during the summer! :(
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I like to go fly fishing for winter steelhead - anadromous (ocean migrating) rainbow trout. On the local Skykomish River they often exceed 10 lbs. Many of these fish are endangered wild fish, and all are caught on barbless hooks and released to continue their journey upstream. I can't wait for the peace and joy it brings me! Here's a hen being released, a view of the wild (undammed) Skykomish and some steelhead fly patterns I've tied:View attachment 87615View attachment 87616View attachment 87617
Troutredds you really need to chat with our IT guy Jon about flies he just loves nothing better than tying them , he unearthed his Fathers flies over 40 years old and brought them rond to show us .
He then set about recreating his fathers flies but out of more modern day materials than from his dads days .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
-We try to go for a walk every day - between 1/2 and 1 mile. If the weather's too bad, we'll stay in.
-LOTS of cooking. Love cooking
-I set up a grow tent with hydroponics, and it's always amazing how much strong plant growth you can get with that, pest free.
-Constant work on aquariums
-Feeding the fireplace and enjoying the heat
-Netflix series watching binges with popcorn
-GPF conversations

Winter is great.(y)

Ask a Question